Winchester Model 91 Shotgun - Any Info?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, May 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tartan_Terrier

Tartan_Terrier LE

Does anyone here know anything about the Winchester Model 91 shotgun? Is it a half decent choice for a first (for a few years) shotgun?

I believe that it's an old model as I haven't been able to find much about it when searching the internet. It's in decent mechanical nick, but the stock could probably do with being refinished.

Any ideas on value? Does 250 quid sound like a fair price?

T_T

2. FiveAlpha

FiveAlpha

They were made around 20 years ago. To be honest Terrier you can get a lot better for your buck. If it's just a rough and ready, reliable o/u you're after a half decent Baikal or Lanber second hand will cost you around the £150 mark.

3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Can only tell you it was made in Spain and is probably 30 years old.
    How is the look and feel?

4. Tartan_Terrier

Tartan_Terrier LE

The metalwork is in very good nick, and the action is tight. It's got a good length of pull for me, and fits a lot better then the two Baikals I've tried.

5. Tartan_Terrier

Tartan_Terrier LE

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you hold it in your hand and it looks and feels like its worth considerably more than 250 quid I would go for it - barring problems, defects and damage of course. Especially as you say it fits you - any chance of testing it?

If you do not get on with it you are not likely to lose too much if you trade it in at a later date.

7. Jubbles

Jubbles Old-Salt

one thing to take into account is the cost of spare parts etc, the gun might be cheap but if something breaks and costs a lot to replace it then you might be fooling yourself with the initial cost.

Whats the gun going to be used for and how often is something you should think of