Which watch... specifically, these two...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yeoman_dai, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yeoman_dai

Yeoman_dai LE

Well i'm off down to the Falklands for a few months - deep joy. However, when I get back, i've decided to get something i've wanted to get for ages, which is a good watch.

However, knowing next to nothing about them and being on Duty tonight with nothing to do I thought i'd start a thread on it looking for the advice i'm sure is out there.

Yes, I am aware of the "Which Watch" thread but i've narrowed it down to specifically one of these two (including such inane reasons like I want a blue dial) - any advice?

Buy Oris 643-7609-85-55-RS Divers 1000m Small Seconds Gents Watch - 01643760985550742434EB Oris -

Tag Heuer Watch Aquaracer CAF2112.BA0809

Plus, what is ORIS like as a brand? I'm trying to avoid Omega's or Rolexes because of the image they are slowly getting by association with Chav's...

EDITED TO ADD 23/04/12 I've since fucked all those off and despite going through Omega Seamasters and then Breitling Superocean Heritages I've bought a Bremont Supermarine 500/BL which is beautiful perfect and about £1500 more than I wanted to spend. However there is some quality discussion in the following pages if you like watches so read on!
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Chavs can afford more than a grand for a watch?
  3. Joe_Private

Joe_Private LE

Are you stopping off anywhere on the way back where you could buy duty-free? If not, why not wait until you do.
    Yeoman_dai likes this.
  4. Yeoman_dai

Yeoman_dai LE

Nope i'm not transiting down on-board a steely grey messenger of death, i'm probably flying down to meet her.
  5. Joe_Private

Joe_Private LE

Are you flying back too?
  6. HHH

HHH LE

Why not get one of these ones.

watch.jpg

Then spend the rest on beer & women!!!
  7. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero

I fear you worry too much about what others think, I wouldn't snub a Ferrari just because some tosser footballer bought one so why snub a good watch because some tartan wearing lowlife stole one. Buy the best you can afford and if you are after a quality piece don't buy a bloody quartz watch no matter how pretty it looks, buy a real watch with a real automatic movement (I notice after writing this that you have selected two), my choice Omega Seamaster............ lovely watch, practical and affordable. I wear mine all day everyday, it has taken a right battering over the last 5 years and never let me down, I do also have a dress watch but that only comes out on very special occasions.

Edited to add: I'd go for the Oris of those two, my boss has one (different model) but he is chuffed to bits with it.
  8. My parents offered to get me an Omega for my graduation present. I said I prefered a £100 Casio which had a compass, barometer and thermometer while the Omega has...none of these. I got the Casio, and the Omega...bless my parents! :)

Never wear the Omega though; it is in a safe deposit box in a bank. Just too expensive. If you damage it or lose it you will be heartbroken. Even for special occasions I couldn't be arrsed to get it out of the bank, so I don't even wear it for special occasions.

Just buy a cheap digital watch!
  9. Don't forget you can wear a rolex everyday and for every occasion.
    Busterdog and DavidBOC like this.
  10. Infiltrator

Infiltrator LE

The Oris every time. Every chav has a Tag Heuer. When was the last time you saw an Oris. Lovely watches and the right people will know it's an excellent choice for a discerning gentleman. Seriously though, don't you think the Tag is just a bit....well, blingy? The Oris is a mans watch. My BC3 kept excellent time.
    naguere likes this.
  11. TaffJ

TaffJ War Hero

I agree about the Seamaster, I have had mine now for 11 years and worn it daily since. I also have an Oris Big Crown and a Panerai Luminor Submersable but these are only worn on stepping out nights and when I can be arrsed digging them out of the cupboard.
    As with most things in life, buy the best you can afford and don't listen to what people think of your taste.
    Mexeman likes this.
  12. Cuddles

Cuddles LE

Which occasion you will of course be late for because the buggers notoriously keep rotten time. I had a Submariner for 11-12 years and in the end I swapped it in and got a Seamaster and some money from the jeweller (Mallory's). The watch keeps pretty much perfect time and has a slightly less chunky feel to it but still looks like a bloke's tick-tock rather than one of those faggy things Tag produce.
  13. smudge67er

smudge67er

Don't buy either. Keep saving until you can really afford a good watch.

They're both ******* horrible!
  14. naguere

naguere LE

Oris, great watches, good prices.

A style of their own.
  15. dangerous1

dangerous1 Swinger

Have a look at swiss watches direct, i got a Tag from there saving a almost 500 quid I made sure it came with a full Tag guarantee
    TAG Heuer Carrera Tachymetre Automatic Watch - CV2014.BA0794
    I got this one for 1725 it works a treat and looks good
    http://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk/swisswatches/cv2014_ba0794-mens_watches.html[/URL]