Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Where is this Aircraft?

[quodmmmrepello, post: 5710031, member: 85275"]There's a jet missing? OMG, when did this happen? I've heard nothing about this, as I've been on retreat on a remote island in the Indian ocean.

So, what do we think happened? Hijack, AA missile from an Asian country, mechanical failure, or CIA-sponsored plot to discredit Putin & AQ ?[/quote]

You didn't happen to see a big white tin thing with wings hidden under the palm trees did you?

Actually there are bugger all facts to work off, other than the pilots could've been dodgy and it disappeared.
What facts do exist all point out that everything worked in a sequence that rules out mechanical or systems failure, and that the plane disappeared on purpose. Therefor conspiracy theories are pretty much all we have to work with.

That and they keep saying they know where the wreckage is, but have changed where it must have been, and them not having found it shows they have no idea. Conspiracy theories are pretty well justified considering the circumstances.
Please see above about no wreckage. Also, bearing in mind the protracted timescale, "floating" wreckage could be a considerable distance away, or waterlogged & subsequently sunk.
As to location, the calculations via Immarsat & UK AAIB are the best available.

This whole saga certainly seems to be a mystery wrapped up in an enigma with the possible hallmarks of a novel by Ian Fleming ..

.... then again the truth may well turn out to be stranger than fiction .

Arguably the lack of evidence, the continuing reassessment of suspected crash sites and poor data proves there is no conspiracy.

If you were the resources to get the CIA to remote fly it to Diego Garcia, install a cloaking device to make it invisible to satellite and radar. you would have the resources to create a better story.

There is no better story than uncertainty and confusion!

This whole saga certainly seems to be a mystery wrapped up in an enigma with the possible hallmarks of a novel by Ian Fleming ..

.... then again the truth may well turn out to be stranger than fiction .

Ha! All a load of "artistic licence" for the Vulcan - such as making a door from the crew area to the bomb bay to get access to play with the nukes!

Yep, flew them too!

Riiiiight, and they handily fooled the Australian Air Force & Navy, along with the US and Royal Navy into looking up their own arrses on a wild goose chase !!!!

Riiiight, so in the absence of any wreckage you can prove a conspiracy based on a completely made up non-factual statement.

Hardly a 'magical find' was it ? Oh, that's right, the RAAF, RAN, USN & RN must be in on the conspiracy, hows that fit in your cynical mind ?

Riiiight, except the wreckage doesn't 'happen' to be where it is or where it may be found just to fit an already silly conspiracy theory? The known facts show the aircraft's last position as being over the Indian Ocean.

Please don't bother responding, in my experience people who indulge in conspiracy theories prior to any real factual evidence being shown have no further wish to let these facts alter their own position, and therefore I will not join an endless discussion.

The only fact here is that a plane is missing. Everything else is "educated" guesswork.

Ha! All a load of "artistic licence" for the Vulcan - such as making a door from the crew area to the bomb bay to get access to play with the nukes!

Yep, flew them too!

Very much off thread ... my outstanding memory of the Vulcan was some ~30+ years ago ... I was on the Eildon Hills near Melrose and I saw several flying so low I was higher than they were and was able to see into the cockpits as they appeared to slowly and majestically fly by .... back on thread .

Very much off thread ... my outstanding memory of the Vulcan was some ~30+ years ago ... I was on the Eildon Hills near Melrose and I saw several flying so low I was higher than they were and was able to see into the cockpits as they appeared to slowly and majestically fly by .... back on thread .
We disbanded the last Vulcan Sqn 30 yrs ago this month - could have been me in one of them flying by! ;-)

Bluefin has now searched 90% of the designated area, nothing as yet. Mission 12 in progress:

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr036.aspx

While the rest of the world has been watching the search in the Indian Ocean, there has been a truce with the Taliban in Pakistan. That has now ended, according to the BBC:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-27142586

It would be ironic if the plane and passengers were all accidentally targeted by an airstrike.

One does wonder if a decision was made not to search the northern route in order to preserve the truce (whether the plane was known to be in that area or not).

No change - software reset on Bluefin - but 95% of designated area searched.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr038.aspx

HMS Tireless is ending her mission there.

Preliminary report to be released next week by Malaysian authorities (not that it can say much?).

No surprise:

"If no contacts of interest are made, Bluefin 21 will continue to examine the areas adjacent to the 10-kilometre radius," the Perth-based co-ordination centre said in a statement.

not looking promising is it, but then again the French Airline a330 took 18 months or so to find the wreckage and that was a much narrower search area.