What's the fastest mil 1.5 mile time?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Forastero, Jul 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

2. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert

A little chubby welsh lad called Telfryn Butt did his 1st BFT in 7:11. That was back in 1994. I was in depot with him.

He was about 5'2" and could ******* shift.

3. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

With a name like that, I'm not surprised he could run fast!

4. bobthedog

bobthedog LE

Any chance of it coming into the "public" domain, we can't see the post on the intranet!

5. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert

I've found him on Facebook. I'll ping him the link, and see if anything comes of it.

6. bulldoze

bulldoze Old-Salt

There have been loads of Soldiers who have run faster than that. In fact I have heard reports of people running it in boots faster than that in the 80s.

I would imagine the fastest would be somewhere around 6:30.

For reference, I would guess a top level Olympic miler would be able to do it in just under the 6 min mark.

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Weird. That's a DII link and I can't open it now!

Soldiers with the Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) at Imjin Barracks in Innsworth had an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete with three Olympic athletes from Malawi last week.

Currently training at the University of Gloucestershire's Oxstalls Campus, the three Olympic runners arrived at Imjin Barracks last Thursday morning and participated in a basic personal fitness assessment (BPFA) with over 100 soldiers, civilians and family members stationed at the elite NATO headquarters just outside of Gloucester.

Consisting of two minutes of press-ups and two minutes of sit-ups followed by a one-and-a-half-mile (2.4km) run, the BPFA is an annual requirement for all British soldiers. Participating soldiers are graded according to their level of performance and effort, and are encouraged to complete all the elements to the best of their ability.

The Malawian Olympic athletes participating were marathon runner Mike Tebulo, marathon pace-setter John Kayange, 400-metre runner Ambwene Simukonda, and coach Francis Munthali. Tebulo, Kayange and Munthali all competed in the one-and-a-half-mile run, with pace-setter John Kayange completing the run in the fastest time (7.36 minutes).

8. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert

I'm pretty sure TB managed a sub 7 min BFT, though I couldn't swear to it. I just remember his day 1 week 1 time.

9. Gungythree

Gungythree LE

Taff Evans did it in 10 seconds, the lift was at the bottom of the shaft

10. Fastest I know 6m 24s in boots, Jan 9th, 1987. Not me but he was in my squad.

11. loopintheP

loopintheP Old-Salt

Doing the run as part of a BPFA ie preceded by Press Ups and Sit Ups delivers slower running times than just running the BFT on its own......that's my excuse anyway!

12. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Difficulty with BFT times is consistency of the course. No two are the same, and so there will be plenty of anecdotes of superhuman feats of speed!

13. bulldoze

bulldoze Old-Salt

Too true - I have run many a route that must have been 'estimated' One notable one in NI in the 90s where I achieved a best ever 8:09 running with a hangover, that course must have been at least 200 yards short - either that or the Guinness gave me wings!

14. CaptainPlume

CaptainPlume LE

I witnessed on being done in just over 7:30 in boots. I think the bloke was wearing Aircrew boots, mind, but I was too knackered & blowing out of my hoop a good minute & a half behind him.

15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I loathe running which is probably why I've never managed to do any better than 09.45. Shameful really!