1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

What Model Is My Browning Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by CptDanjou, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CptDanjou

CptDanjou Clanker

I recently bought a rough o/u Belgian made Browning , its serial is 73J 073**, barrels marked "Magnum Special Steel 12 Gauge Shells 3" , anyone know what model it would be? as I want to track down a fore stock as the one its got is damaged, ,Ive spent ages on Gaggle and cant find one like it.
  2. cernunnos

cernunnos Clanker MiA (Donor)

Does it have a secret compartment in the stock to keep small girls in?
  3. cernunnos

4. Longlenny

Longlenny Clanker Book Reviewer

5. CptDanjou

CptDanjou Clanker

Dont think its a Citori as the fore stock uses a different release catch.
  6. cernunnos

They started production of the Citori in 1969, not 1973 as some American sites say and at the same time they started making a more basic version in Liege and in Japan (Miroku). Yours sounds like a 1973 "Browning Liege."

The table I published a link to is badly written, the Liege serial numbers follow Brownings system which from 1969 to 1973 was: "In 1969 Browning started using two digits for the date of manufacture which was followed by on of the following codes:
    H=12 ga.
    N=20ga.
    Later the code was changed to J=both gauges"

Search under Browning Liege, although a number of models were made under that name, B25 & B26 included, from the date yours must be a basic belgian Citori, the forestock catch seems to have been quite a problem if you look at the blogs, often getting snapped off and a real problem to source in the states at least.

I'd try a Belgian gunsmith or Frankonia here.
  7. cernunnos

Have a look at these badgers, are the Miroku forestocks the same?????:

Miroku O/U springs & Data.html

......about half way down the page, perhaps a Miroku part will do the trick!
  8. CptDanjou

CptDanjou Clanker

Cheers for that , Ive concluded its a B26 Liege , its a very basic gun with some damage to the forearm , but for £150 I cant complain.
  9. cernunnos

They retail at around £400 in "Rough shooter" quality from that era.