Wearing of Medals of deceased relatives

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by needforspeed, Nov 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. needforspeed

needforspeed Old-Salt

Can anybody help. I have just been given my grandfathers medals and wanted to wear them on remembrance sunday on my no2's. I was advised that i could wear them on the right side but this has know changed. Does anybody know what the answer is. Can i wear them or not or could someone point me in the right direction. Do i wear my medals aswell.

Thank You

2. intothesilk2

intothesilk2 War Hero

I wore my fathers once on my number 2's, had to get permission from the RSM and yes you wear them on the right. I do believe that if I had worn my grandfathers also they would be worn below my fathers. You should I believe also wear your own.

3. needforspeed

needforspeed Old-Salt

intothesilk2

Thanks for the info, do you happen to know where it is laid down, the gsm here is a bit of a **** and would like to go armed incase he makes a scene.

4. threaders_vm

threaders_vm

I was under the impression you wore relatives medals whilst wearing blazer i.e civvies. To wear them on your No 2's is to my mind ridiculous. You'd look a complete t*at.

If your RSM gave you permission then he needs remedial on dress regs.

5. Cuddles

Cuddles LE

wearing of relatives decorations and medals in uniform is verboten. Wearing them in civvies is up to you but I always ask why people wear their rellies gongs. Is it to honour them or to make a bit of a splash yourself? Think carefully before you go down that route...

6. threaders_vm

threaders_vm

Really? What's wrong with people thinking that a bloke in his 20''s fought at Flanders?

• Like Like x 1
  7. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

It doesn't matter if your Father, Grandfather or Aunty won the VC or the "fastest stacker of blankets in the Regiment medal". They are part of your families heritage, and if you would wish to wear them in honour of your forebears on 11th November do so with pride.

Obviously if you start cutting about wearing them at family weddings and random parades then maybe it is walting.

They are worn on the RHS, so anyone in the know will know it is that you wear them for someone else rather than to walt it. If they don't know the difference, fcuk 'em or educated them which ever takes your pick. And as T_VM states, some medals will be blatently obvious that the wearer didn't win it.

Not too sure about the medals in 2s. I have seen them worn, although admittedly that was a VC won by the soldiers Grandfather, of the same Regiment.

For the record, I have worn (in a suit) my own medals and that of my grandad, and great grandfather. Nothing fancy, but representing 5 years of service of WW1 (and aftermath) including the Somme, Ypres and Paschendale. WW2 including Africa and Italy. And of course my own modest efforts (on the LHS).

Just my way of honouring my immediate families 10 years of World War service and 16 years of my own. I could also wear my Great Great Grandfathers WW1 medals but I feel two genertions is sufficent (GGG lied about his age to get in and so did GG). My cousin wears similar medals on his side, sadly he never knew either, as neither saw the end of their respective wars.

If you want to honour you forebears in such away then do so.

8. RHODESIAN

RHODESIAN LE

At the Memorial Arboretum in May there was a Fellow wandering around with his Great granddads VC on,I think he is something to do with the Tankies magazine,even if my distant relative had been honoured like this its not something I would have done,but not everybody is the same

9. Filbert Fox

Filbert Fox LE

I saw a tankie wearing his relatives gongs on the right hand side at a remembrance parade a couple of years ago, medals on both sides of his uniform, it looked totally arrse.

10. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

I have now known two WOs who have had, in their office, their various ancestors medals, framed. One was a VC, one was not so illustrious. Neither WO got kudos for their reletives actions, although they did receive kudos for their respect.

Same as i say before, if that is how you wish to honour your forebears then so be it.

11. dante242

dante242 War Hero

Interesting topic, there are no rules on the matter but protocol is that family medals should not be worn on any uniform.

In civilian dress you can only wear those of your immediate family and only if you are next of kin.

During the great war and after widows would often be seen on armistice day wearing their husbands medals, sons and daughter did not wear them unless they were next of kin.

The rationale for this protocol was these medals and decorations were presented/sent to the next of kin of those killed in action so by default can be worn by them.

12. ColdWarWorrier

ColdWarWorrier Swinger

I was given some very good advice on medal wearing and relative's medals a few years ago: Wear your own medals. Take any relatives medals with you in your pocket, and show them down the pub afterwards.

I'll be there on 11th Nov with mine on my chest and my grandad's WW2 medals in my pocket.

13. RHODESIAN

RHODESIAN LE

Thats what i would do,bring them out after the silence,say my thanks smile and put them away safely till next year

14. dante242

dante242 War Hero

CWW, Sound advice I was told the same

15. ripley

ripley Clanker

chest out and where them, nobody has the right to tell you not to where them, rsm or not. if it were not for the fallen, those people might not be in their position today. but thats just my opinion.