1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Venison Steaks

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mysteron

mysteron Clanker Book Reviewer

With regard to chocolate; Venision served in a port wine and chocolate is a classic Escoffier recipe.

The sauce essentially is a port reduction with veal stock, fresh thyme and seasoning and at the last minute you grate some high quality chocolate in (I choose Willie Harcout-Couze's Cacao - Venezulean Rio Caribe for the fruity notes).

The chocolate should give the sauce a glossy sheen.

Remember folks, it is not gravy, it is a sauce and so should be used to enhance the flavour not cause the venison to go back to the primordial soup.

Taking about bread slicers - great but the hygiene thing is an issue. If you aren't bothered - carpaccio is best sliced in this way (unless of course, you have a meat slicer!!)
  2. ugly

ugly Clanker Moderator

Admittedly you have to take it apart and scrub like feck but its worth it, the slicer that is!
  3. mysteron

Does GRAFB have any feedback on her Bambi Steaks - did it work for you?
  4. Devilishdave

Devilishdave Clanker

Venison can have a tendency to be dry if it is not cooked properly. When cooking steaks have them as rare as you like your meet. Cook and rest for 1/2 the length of time you cooked it for to allow the juices to settle. In a red wine port and brandy sauce will be exquisite.

Dave
  5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat Clanker Good Egg (charities) MiA (Donor)

I shall be cooking them next weekend, mysteron. The offspring will be home again then, and we can submit them to the taste test.

I shall report, don't worry!
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Cooked them last evening, Mysteron, with the Cauliflower mash, and some lovely fresh organic carrots and a lovely bottle of Brown Bros Tarrango.

I thought it was delicious, but was most impressed when the offspring announced 'This.... is... brilliant'.

We like the tiger bread too. I did cheat and use the breadmaker as my yeast wouldn't froth, but it tastes lovely.
  7. Sancho_Panza

Sancho_Panza Clanker

Also useful in adding to a curry if you've overdone it on the spices and made it too hot. It will bring it back down to a reasonable level where you can taste the flavour of the curry, rather than just heat.
  8. mysteron

GRAB - splendid - we have a winner. :thumleft:
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

You definitely do. Junior was so impressed he asked for the recipe so he could cook it for his girlfriend.
  10. tropper66

tropper66 Crow

FFS these threads make me hungry
  11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks for the tip Oyibo. We used the griddle-pan. Heated it in the oven until it was very hot, dribbled a smidge of olive oil onto the steaks, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and two minutes per side. They were just right.
  12. mysteron

That has truly made my day.

Tell him that I will even coach him online if needs be - but I am sure that you have that in hand.
  13. Grownup_Rafbrat

TBH, Mysteron, he's not a bad cook (those weekends working as a KP in an Italian Restaurant as a youngster will have helped!).

I will mention your kind offer, because he might like to try some of your other ideas, and isn't an arrser. And ideas are always welcome from cooks other than your mother!