Unusual US war grave

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Jun 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. brettarider

brettarider LE

I was in the local cemetery this weekend and on the way out I noticed this headstone. I thought all US graves were in specific locations or has this been a relocation by the family? It's located in Hawkhead cemetery in Stevenston. IMAG0475.jpg
  2. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

How do you know it is a grave for a yank?

Strange he died in 1949...
  3. Mr Tweedy

Mr Tweedy Clanker

It doesn't look like a typical WWII US grave stone. Most of them were shaped in the representation of denominational symbols(usually cross or star of David, but other shapes were included). The shape is similar to a commonwealth war grave stone, but it is unusual to not have the cap badge and the regimental number on it. The text is also not quite as is usually seen. It may be a private marker chosen to be like a CWG marker for soemeone who served, survived and died later.
  4. Mr Tweedy

Mr Tweedy Clanker

Just searched CWG website - Not found for that name or date of death so is not likeley to be an official marker.
  5. brettarider

brettarider LE

The lay out of it and mention of 1 div it may also be that he died due to injury or illness obtained during service.
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

If he was born in 1928 he would have been 17 when the war ended.
  7. DPM_Sheep

DPM_Sheep LE

It is an official marker. You'll see exactly this type of headstone in Arlington National Cemetery among others.

18th Infantry Regiment, US 1 Infantry Division...... Wouldn't be the first 16 year old to lie about his age.
  8. Goldbricker

Goldbricker LE

Actually it is a US gov headstone like seen at Arlington. Typically the Cross type is used Overseas (Normandy as example)

Here's Audie Murphys at arlington
    http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/audielmu.htm

Recruit is an odd inscription though. Usually it would read Private 16th INF 1st Division
  9. Mr Tweedy

Mr Tweedy Clanker

Apologies - thought that those type were only used in CONUS - I should have been more specific. I have never seen that type overseas, but then there are always exceptions. I stand corrected. Would be interested to know if there are any rules etc. for US grave markers, like there are for CWGC one. Do you have any source of info?
  10. brettarider

brettarider LE

In the same cemetery there is s recent 2003/04 internment with what seems to be a non standard Portland stone headstone has lips /ledges as well as the curve at the top
  11. It's a guess, but I'd suggest that he may have been born in USA of Scottish parents (or perhaps emigrated to USA), joined the US Army, died in training and was buried in the family's cemetery in Scotland.
    Fox-and-horses likes this.
  12. Edited for plausibility, given the dates involved:

It's a guess, but I'd suggest that he may have emigrated to USA, joined the US Army, was severely injured in training and was buried in the family's local cemetery in Scotland when he finally succumbed to his injuries.
  13. Goldbricker

Goldbricker LE

I'm thinking whomever he was he was initially buried in the USA and then at some time exhumed and brought back to Scotland along with the headstone. US Army did allow families to have their dead brought home. For the purposes of awarding the WWII victory medal WWII dates are from 7 december 1941 -31 december 1946. there was no Minimum time in service, one could have enlisted in december 15th 1946 and been awarded the medal.

Unfortunately I cant find anything on this guy through NARA or ABMC
  14. Can't find him in "Find a grave in Scotland dot com" either.

Home

Plenty of Archibalds, Frews and Blades in Scotland, but can't find a recent reference to all three together, though the combination has been used in history.
  15. Goldbricker

Goldbricker LE

I agree, Have at one time or another served with joes from Ireland- Republic and Northern, China, Germany, Nicaragua, Brazil, Panama, Poland, "Palestine", Myanmar, Pakistan, India, Nigeria, Mexico, Jamaica*, Russia, Ukraine, and had 2 Canadians in my rifle company in Baghdad back in 04-05.

* we had a senior NCO in 1980's who had served British army and Jamaican defence force. he was British Army at Queen Elizabeth 2 coronation as a Pvt. He habitually Wore a WWI gasmask case on his chest as his map case in the field, did the stomping foot and palm up saluting facing movements. Carried his M16 like you guys did the SLR at the trail. Both his sons went to West Point as did a daughter.
    We also had a Former Soviet Naval Infantry officer serving as a Sgt for the 08 Afghan tour and back in 85 I had a Machinegunner who was a Polish Army Senior Lieutenant before defecting. Smoked cigs with a Holder like FDR while humping the 60 through the boonies.