Tranche 2 Redundancy

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by DPM, Jan 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be done about being subject to compulsory redundancy just 6 weeks before one's 16 year pension point? The loss in pension is eye watering, and the odds are not looking too hot...

dpm
  2. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter War Hero

Have a back injury close to the time that takes 6 weeks of checks and stuff before it feels better.

I know it sounds a cheats way but there isn't much else!
  3. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

:) I'd have to prove some spine in the first place...

dpm
  4. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Join the Forces Pension Society today - 30 of your finest pounds for a year. They will advise you and probably take up the fight in your behalf.

Everybody should join; they are the only ones who care about our pensions and have some clout on Whitehall...
  5. Inf Maj? Break a leg or something?
  6. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Will do - should have already I suppose.

dpm
  7. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It's well worth it. I joined a year ago; newsletters are informative, the advice is spot on and they are all over the pension regs...
  8. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Join the pension society and brace yourself for lots of eyewatering 'near misses' for pensions. (I think the record stands at 3 days at the moment).

Whilst I could see the MoD relenting on 3 days, I can't see 6 weeks being taken in to account. Because at this rate the Immediate Pension date is going to slide all the way to the left in LOS days. It is cold but the line is there, and it was set objectively, there may be some room for subjective viewing of the rules but I think anything more than a month and you're backing a loser. (My opinion only, not neccesrily factual)

Whilst I can symphathise, the best advise if you are 'that certain' would be to start saving, start getting some quality courses in and start chucking you CV around. If you are that 'certain' it's going to be you you're actually in a better state than others... as you have 18 months to prepare.

Once you know where you are to settle, perhaps get in touch with the local TA unit. Then if things are bad, you may get a chance to deploy or at least get some extra wonga.
  9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Gallery Guru

Couldn't agree more - £30/year to protect our pensions is money well spent.
    cantbearsed2 likes this.
  10. spaz

spaz On ROPs

I know of a guy selected during T1 who will leave 72 hrs before his 18 yr point. He's been fighting it since he was selected but has hit a brick wall. They aren't budging with his pension.
  11. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

72 hours = 3 days... although it does sound shorter :D

Sounds like they aren't going to budge on dates then.

Edit to add. remember there is the option to trade change...
  12. spaz

spaz On ROPs

Cheers for that Trig.

No, sounds like an identical period of time to me.

The only relevant point in your post, although it is merely an observation of points raised by others and adds no value.

Given the very limited options regarding trade change or transfer and the fact that you have know idea what his rank or CEG is, I'll just add:

Yeah, cheers for that. Go and get your head down.

I've looked for a worthwhile point in your post but having come up blank, the cynical side of me is suggesting that you're a sheep's whose keyboard is stuck on permanent send.
  13. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

Thank you for appreciation there Spaz.

If you do a spot of research on linguistics, it is actually a common practice to say something like x hours, in lieu of y days and similar constructs depending ont he result you want.
  14. spaz

spaz On ROPs

Fascinating stuff.

15. SgtSlaughter

SgtSlaughter War Hero

This isn't the naafi so nothing wrong with giving decent explanations or advice.