Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tastytoggle, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tastytoggle

Tastytoggle War Hero

The ash cloud is really worrying airlines so BAs Chief Executive and his Chief pilot took a 747 into the no fly area to find out what the score was. They made it out and back in one piece and together with other airlines will doubtless press for a more common sense approach to the problem than the current blanket ban. One solution is to have planes aloft to monitor the ash cloud more closely - and of course, the military are in the frame for that detail. I can't see it myself. At Bessbrook Mill, the Army and Navy pilots would happily fly in an emergency, no matter how adverse the conditions, but not the RAF. That was years ago. I daresay H&S in the RAF is pursued with even greater vigour now. Stand by for some wailing and gnashing of teeth.........................!

2. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

I'm sure that if push came to shove, just as in those halcyon days you remember with such fondness, you'd find the AAC and the fish-heads leaping into the luft.

But don't forget, Matalan togs, white socks and plastic slip-ons would melt if exposed to volcanic ash. Or that's the sort of excuse you'd get.......

3. twosugarsnomilk

twosugarsnomilk LE

All the way to Cardiff......Brave little monkeys.

4. ExScaleyBleep

ExScaleyBleep Old-Salt

Glad I hadn't signed the works ticket for that little cabby if it had lobbed in from 30,000 ft... wonder how much one of those 747's costs..... ???

5. tropper66

tropper66

They flew for over two forty minutes houres, well out over the Atlanic before returning to Cardiff, they did this because Cardiff/Rhoose has BAs main engine servicing plant and the Aircraft can now be checked by engineers today, the 747 was taken straight into the hanger and the engines were stripped, It was aparrantly due for a major service and that was why it was used in the test.

6. 2 forty minute hours? Can I get some of those for where I work. Would make for a nicely shortened day.

7. Craven_A

Craven_A Old-Salt

Is this a direct translation from taffy?

8. tropper66

tropper66

NO, I aint bump started my brain, and right hand yet, been trowing the dog's frisby for the last couple of hours and my hands are still shaking

9. Twizzlelehope

Twizzlelehope LE

I hope something is sorted out really quickly as I have forked out a wad to go to China for three weeks (a week on Thursday). No doubt the insurance companies will use the act of God clause, should I not be able to go!

10. jonwilly

jonwilly LE

"At Bessbrook Mill, the Army and Navy pilots would happily fly in an emergency, no matter how adverse the conditions"

Oh yes nearly killed me one day.
    john
    The Avoid Curve for the informed.

11. Infiltrator

Infiltrator LE

It's all very well BA (and another couple of airlines) flying aeroplanes thorought the cloud and then declaring it safe. I have no doubt that the majority of the cloud is quite sparce, but what happens if the a/c passes through a pocket of denser ash? If the jet falls out of the sky the airlines will immediatley blame the government for allowing them to fly!

It's a no win situation for NATS.

I would have thought that keeping the aircraft below say 15,000 feet might help. Admittidly they will burn more fuel, and perhaps ranges would be affected, but it might offer some help

(edited for mong spelling)

12. cometcatcher

cometcatcher LE

13. Re comecatcher linky. Go to the bottom of the page and click on Spanish show the way naked link. Most illuminating for a Monday!!

14. Dread

Dread LE

Flight was made through extremely concentrated ash stream on it's first arrival: since then it has massively dissipated.

I'm not too keen to trust airlines who are desperate to get moving again, but the blanket ban currently in force is a complete farce.

15. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I'm sure all those whose lives were saved by RAF MERT helos in Afghanistan, in all weathers and hostile LZs will agree with you in condemning the RAF aircrew.

You could also ask the SF guys who pilots the Chinooks used to insert them in hostile areas in all weathers. Clue: it's not the army or the RN.