The Knights Templar,,Do they really exist?..

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by tuffy52, Aug 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. tuffy52

tuffy52 LE

The Knights Templar have figured large in the Anders Breivik Trial,he even 'confessed' to visiting the UK branch in London.The Norwegian Authorities have gone to great length to deny the existence of such a group.However baring in mind that over the years various Governments have denied the existence of such diverse groups of secret societies such as The Freemasons,The Mafia,Opus Dei etc all of which have had a huge influence on society at one time or another.
    So my question is 'Do the Knights Templar Exist'?......

2. Queensman

Queensman LE

• Like Like x 5
  3. Mugatu

Mugatu LE

The Grand Commandery of Knights Templar, 145-157 Saint John Street, London, EC1V 4PW.‎ 020 7183 8428. Give them a ring and ask?

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby LE

Yes, we are currently taking advantage of the media attention to up the numbers, if you're a nutter and dont mind doing some chanting you're in.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Do I get a cloak and a 6 foot sword or do I have to provide my own?

• Like Like x 1
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby LE

Dont sweat on the sword...... :)..........

7. gallowglass

gallowglass LE

The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon - to give the 'Knights Templar' their official historical title - ceased to exist in 1312. Anything and everything else calling itself 'Knights Templar' or variations thereof since are either Masonic imitations, pure conspirazoid fantasy or modern day charitable 'revivals' laying claim to Templar heritage. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone legally establishing an 'Order of the Knights Templar' or somesuch.

As an aside, Breivik is - I understand - a Protestant, and therefore would have been inadmissible to the historical Order (who would have regarded him and his fellow wannabes as heretics).

• Like Like x 8
  8. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert

You have to provide your own.

9. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Sod that. Join the Teutonic Knights. They provide a sword and a shield.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pigshyt_Freeman

Pigshyt_Freeman LE

The legitimacy of the original Order came from the Pope - you can get together with a bunch of Walts in Ruritanian uniforms, and talk all the balls you like about secret societies etc, but unless someone can persuade Il Papa to hand out a certificate, you won't have any standing as a Papal Order of Knights.

11. gallowglass

gallowglass LE

Exactly. Legitimacy is the crucial term here. Breivik clearly knows little about the very heritage he lays claim to.

12. ark-angel

ark-angel LE

I much prefer the Knight's of the Round table. The do routines and chorus scenes with footwork impeckable.

• Like Like x 8
  13. quiller

quiller LE

Join the Knights Eselar, you get a cloak and a SLR.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am now going to do the ARRSE equivalent of calling "Godwin's Law" - It's obviously all a plot by Jim Shortt to take over the world! Perhaps the LoF is really a front for the Templars. Or the Rosicrucians, Or the Druids, or Opus Dei. Who cares, frankly?

While sad men (and it is almost always men) feel the urge to dress up and spout mumbo-jumbo, then there'll always be a few idiots who actually believe it all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pandaplodder

pandaplodder LE

Maybe so but then why does Royston cave in Hertfordshire have carvings of both Templar and Masonic origin? Place was sealed up and forgotten about for centuries