The Greatest Escape? 4000 Miles From Siberia to India

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Andy_S, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

"Our immediate aim was to get out of Russia. The border was 1,600 miles away. I pointed south – ‘That way!’"

Seven departed; four arrived. And their only navigational aid had been a glance at a map of Asia in the prison camp commandant's office.

Could this be the longest - and greatest? - escape on record?*

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...les-from-siberian-death-camp-115875-21364916/

According to the piece, the story is going in Readers Digest, but there is no mention of a book. Publishers - get your cheque books out!

*Assuming, of course, that it is true. This is the Mirror, after all...
  2. Markintime

Markintime LE

This is a reprint, I read the original, which was totally inspiring!
  3. tropper66

tropper66

If you read the whole piece they trash "The Long Walk " saying the author stole the story from this bloke, I have red it and thought it was a great book, it seemed to well written to be a rip off of someone else's story,but then, can we believe the Daily Mirror wouldn't be the first time they got the whole thing wrong
  4. pacestick

pacestick Old-Salt

second The Long Walk, very inspiring! One of only 5 books i've ever completely read in my life!
  5. old_bloke

old_bloke LE

Read it years ago. Liked the bit where they were starving and saw loads of snakles and never did a "Bear" on them.
  6. Tiger-Monkey2

Tiger-Monkey2 War Hero

I read The Long Walk at school. It was by far the best book I was ever made to read. It is a very inspring storey and I recommend it to anyone.
  7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

SNIP
    I second The Long Walk, very inspiring! One of only 5 books i've ever completely read in my life!
    SNIP

Given that the title is "The Long Walk" perhaps they should subtitle it:
    "But fear not! It's a fast read!"
  8. WilieCayote

WilieCayote Old-Salt

I'm sure there is another tread on this somewhere..but just can't find it right now...
    Wasn't it proven to be false - or at best embellished stories from Russia?

The decider for me was two weeks without water :roll:
    and crossing the Gobi desert without mentioning the telegraph poles and wires that criss-cross the area - in my view you could read up on various aspects of the journey but unless you've been there....

Still a cracking read though - mind you I liked Jihad by Tom Carew so it show how much I know!!
  9. Markintime

Markintime LE

The original author was an imposter, possibly a plagiarist but definitely one of the original escapees. As for telegraph poles etc. where they necessarily there in 1941? The Mirror article is about a man who claims he was definitely part of the original escapees, he did not write the book however.
  10. old_bloke

old_bloke LE

Mil Myth!

The Gurka who escaped from the Japs in SIngapore or Burma? and walked to India.
    On arriving was questioned "How did you navigate"?

Answer was . "I had a map" . Shows map and its of the London Underground.
  11. tiger stacker

tiger stacker LE

12. fantassin

fantassin LE

A French guy by the name of Sylvain Tesson has done the same walk in 2004. He wrote a book on his experience called "L'axe du loup" (The axis of the Wolf).
  13. Tastytoggle

Tastytoggle War Hero

Anyone who thought the "The Long Walk" was good should try "Eastern Approaches" by Fitzroy McLean. That IS a true story of a British diplomat who avoids Stalin's secret police to travel from Moscow to India in the late 30s. Later, he joins David Stirling in North Africa and ends up as military attache to Tito's partisans in Yugoslavia. A truly inspiring read.
  14. Swiss_Toni

Swiss_Toni Old-Salt

I vaguely remember reading a story called 'As far as my feet will carry me' authored by Clemens Forell.

The author claimed to be a German officer who escaped from Siberia. I seriously doubt that the story was any more true than the Rawicz book though. I read both in my teens but when I think about it now neither seems remotely possible.
  15. trowel

trowel

Read the book years ago, have seen the film a couple of times. Probably enjoyed best with cynicism mode disengaged.