The DIY engine hoist

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

We all need one from time to time.

Something that will hoist a ton of metal up six feet, with a six foot reach.

But there is no way on Gods green earth I am paying £200 for a Sealy hoist. And second hand they hold their value better than the Memsahib's diamonds. No surprise there. Thanks Shaban and your chums in Dubai. Thanks.

So, I need an engine hoist.

It should be collapsable because Posh Bird is giving me earache about turning the woods into a scrap metal yard. Even though I see no problem with turning a bunch of trees into a scrap metal yard. I am sure the rabbits will adjust. They adjusted to my autoclave experiment. Eventually.

So, the DIY hoist.

It should take 2 ton, straight up. It doesnt need to roll.

It should be easily dismantled, for when Posh Bird starts whining.

Heres my thoughts.

3 scaffolding poles set in a triangle. Lashed at the top with chain. Maybe lashed at the bottom with cargo strops to please the H&S nutters. A chain winch suspended from the top.

Or 2 A bars made of scaffolding, with an RSJ bolted across the top, and a winch hung from that.

Anybody made a decent engine hoist witout buying one?

2. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

I made a great one. Five six foot lengths of six inch RSJ.

Arrange two pairs into T-shapes. Weld brackets to the end flanges (V_heavy duty welder required - 220Amp or more) Bolt through the brackets to join the top of the T's to the stems.

Invert the T's to give two masts. Using similar methods, arrange a bolt on cross beam.

Fab up a trolley to run along it and hang a 2 ton block and tackle chain hoist off it.

Optionally, add wheels.

Not cheap but much more use than a floor crane.

3. TheIronDuke

RSJ's would be my first choice. But I need to move it. Take it down and, ideally, stick it on the back of the truck to shift some useless bit of aged iron I have bought on eBay whilst pissed.

Jesus. No wonder Posh Bird loses it with me. But whats to do, eh?

4. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

Well it's a take down design, Admittedly there's a bit of spanner work required but for occasional use it's fine.

5. TheIronDuke

sooo... if its all bolted together, I can see how its taken down. Its just spanner work.

But the footers? How do you stop the feet spreading under load? Because lets face it, the bastard is going to get overloaded at some point.

6. slick

slick LE

Just my twopenneth but if you`re making one yourself you`d have to over engineer it, especially if your contemplating lifting two tons. Ex stab has it right with the RSJ idea but then it starts to get heavy and less portable. I wouldn`t trust scaffold poles, although they`re pretty beefy I`ve had a few twist and bend on me, with commercial engines.
    I`d save the pennies just for safetys sake and buy one which has a tested swl. £160 ain`t a lot to pay for piece of mind.... 2 ton hoist

7. TheIronDuke

Thanks puttees. One hates to give offence to a valued member, but...

"NR BANBURY OXON, United Kingdom" is in the arrse end of nowhere and they talk funny.

And I need to shift a Lister CS with a genny set attached. Not a Mini motor.

I dont suppose there are any REME types about the place?

8. Puttees Snr had a different solution.

Push car into garage, cut hole in garage roof, lie RSJ on garage roof spanning several joists, attach chain block, lift engine, roll car out of garage, lower engine onto trolley, remove RSJ, repair garage roof.

9. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

PM location Duke, I might be able to suggest something.

10. TheIronDuke

11. Why? :? There's enough bits there to form a stable open end. It should be strong enough - but if it starts to creak, wedge some bits of 2"x2" timber between the rails.

Also has the advantage that you can pass it on to the missus to make it easy for her to clear the roof gutters :)

12. spaz

spaz LE

A pair of long axle stands an rsj over the top with a block and pulley. Raise the stands a bit on solid bases if more height required.

13. TheIronDuke

Nice one. I never thought of that. I could extend the stands with scaffy bars. Cheers.