1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

The BARB test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by eako, May 25, 2005.

1. eako

eako Swinger

Hi All,

New user, if i am on the wrong froum, apologies.

Can any let me know what is the higest score someone can get on the BARB test. Or what constitutes a high score. I recently got 59.

Cheers
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin Clanker Reviewer Book Reviewer Supporter - ADC Reviews Editor

BARBed wire?
  3. Mighty_Blighty

Mighty_Blighty Clanker MiA (Donor)

Then you are "thick as fcuk" mate :D

Seriously though, I have no idea on the new entrance test. What do you want to do ?, have you asked the ACIO if you scored enough to do it ?

I would advise you ask them, and if you want to join a Corps and get a trade, and they try fob you off with Infantry (no offence lads !), then ask to retake it (If you think you are bright enough).
  4. eako

eako Swinger

Have not made my mind up. Recruiting Sgt said the score was high enough for RMP and Int Corp, although he mentioned i would have to further tests for the Int corps.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin Clanker Reviewer Book Reviewer Supporter - ADC Reviews Editor

This has to be a p i s s take - high enough for RMP & Int :!: :!: :!: :!: :wink:

You will probaBly have to take further tests for the ACF :p
  6. Mighty_Blighty

Don't just do a "suck and see"

You need to have a firm idea of what you want to do, otherwise you will:

a. Do the minimum time and bin it because you're not happy.

b. Re-trade and find yourself 2 or 3 years behind your peers.

c. End up after 9 years bitter and twisted.

Give it a lot of thought, it's your life and your career.
  7. Mighty_Blighty

[quote="Auld-Yin]This has to be a p i s s take - high enough for RMP & Int :!: :!: :!: :!: :wink:

You will probaBly have to take further tests for the ACF :p[/quote]

Believe me mate, i've served with the RMP some of them are thicker than Jamie Oliver, and thats saying something.
  8. eako

eako Swinger

Would appreciate it if someone who any idea of my original question would post a reply.

Auld-Yin (Kn0b Jockey), you need a score of 55 for the Int corps, this in know.

What I don’t know is what the highest score is. This is purely for my own personal interest.

Mighty_ Blighty, cheers. It’s a big move, one I wont take lightly!
  9. eako

eako Swinger

Would appreciate it if someone who any idea of my original question would post a reply.

Auld-Yin (Kn0b Jockey), you need a score of 55 for the Int corps, this in know.

What I don’t know is what the highest score is. This is purely for my own personal interest.

Mighty_ Blighty, cheers. It’s a big move, one I wont take lightly!
  10. Fitzy

Fitzy Clanker

I got 72 and was told if i had a better english GCSE all jobs would be open to me. You can get a higher score though im sure.
  11. If you took the BARB test, your recruiter will sit you down afterwards and give you a list of what you are able to apply for. We here at ARRSE, have no clue of the top of our head what you can do; ask the guy who gets payed to deal with your dumbass.

Cheers 2CB
  12. Speed_Air_Man

Speed_Air_Man Clanker

The score you get from the BARB test is referred to as GTI - General trainability index. The BARB programme itself is quite aggressive and contrary to popular belief it is not just a measure of how many questions you can get right. Other factors include; time taken on each question, how many you answer and whether you take longer on harder questions. My ACIO Sgt told me that even the frontline recruiters have difficulty in understanding fully how it all works.

The highest score of which I know is 81. The high scores average around 75 to 85. 59 will open up most trades to you and despite comments about your thick if you get 59 bear in mind that the lowest score for a job in the Army is 28. On average, most lads in the Infantry average around the 30's. Not all mind, I know 2 people who got roughly 70 (the figure escapes me at the moment) and opted for Infantry despite other jobs being open to them.

The thing to remember about the BARB test is that it is only ONE method of determining suitability and should not be considered the be all end all marker of your worth in the British Army. I would consider it one hurdle out of the way with others (more important IMO) to come.

S.A.M.
  13. luke

luke Clanker

I dunno about the highest but I got 68 and along with my qualifications they said that made me eligible for any job.
  14. bluntmann

bluntmann Crow

I scored an 85 in mine. sorry if that comes across as big headed.
  15. Heedtheball

Heedtheball Crow

Rumour has it that some random Scot scored 99 in the BARB yesterday. No upper limit on scoring, so no doubts that there are some canny folk (my money on Scousers) popping out triple figures.
    Don't take the scoring too seriously, if you pass then you pass. Sitting in front of a computer playing games is always going to be the easier hurdle, probably why you do it first :)