1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Spiral test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by gareth87, Feb 13, 2009.

1. gareth87

gareth87 Crow

hey all, this is my first time on here. I'm currently in the process of applying. should have my interview next week, but i've been told i have to do a Spiral test. can anyone explain what this is/involves and why i would need to take it? (apart from the obvious "to get into the army") ive used the search but cant find any info on here or google. any info would be great, cheers.
  2. kez89

kez89 Clanker

never heard of it, suppose thats not much help sorry.
  3. Carcass

Carcass Clanker

4. Doc_Henry

Doc_Henry Clanker

You are a Spiro case, in other words you've had asthma or some other form of chest problem; eg, pneumonia.

It involves doing a LFT (lung function test) which in itself involves blowing into a tube, and cycling for 10 minutes with a mask on to test that you lungs are working.
  5. JokerR

JokerR Clanker

Im sure what you mean is spirometry test, i had to do one at ADSC,
    Its really easy mate, you sit on an excersize bike and you have to maintain a certain speed and heartrate whilst breathing diving air with a stupid clip on your nose.

Dont worry, you wont be the only one doing it and you'll have a good laugh about it :)
  6. gareth87

gareth87 Crow

ah right that explains it, had asthma as a kid. cheers
  7. kes1

kes1 Crow

Sound like I got off lightly, I only had to do the LFT tube blowing (that sounds so wrong...) no cycling for me.
  8. JokerR

JokerR Clanker

yeah, i had to do the LFT then cycle for 10 minutes then do the LFT again to see the effect of excersize on my body... apparently not much :p
  9. Carcass

Carcass Clanker

More correctly called a Pulmonary Function Test, not lung. Unfortunately, PFT was a TLA that was already taken so it needed to be modified! :D
  10. kes1

kes1 Crow

The nurse that did mine was a bit dim, I doubt she could even say pulmonary let alone spell it so she referred to the test a lung function test :D
  11. JokerR

JokerR Clanker

Was yours at lichfield by any chance?
    the nurse who did mine was a complete wackjob 8O
  12. kes1

kes1 Crow

No mine was done by a civilian nurse, which is why I escaped the cycling :D
  13. young_lofty

young_lofty Clanker

Thats a new one for me, I had not heard of that before! Every day a school day... Carcass, what does TLA mean?
  14. DonnyLad

DonnyLad Clanker

TLA = Three Letter Abreviation
  15. young_lofty

young_lofty Clanker

Cheers Donnylad, I knew someone would bite it. How do you spell 'WAH', by the way? :wink: