1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

South Africa lifts ban on elephant culling

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mac1, May 1, 2008.

1. mac1

mac1 Clanker

I understand that hunting is highly beneficial for animal management but this is usually kept quiet understandably. If somebody in the public eye were to go on a big five hunt like, say film stars 50 years ago, they'd probably have to go into hiding! Any thoughts, especially from those into stalking?

Web Page Name//news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080430/sc_afp/safricaenvironmentelephants_080430034231
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

Limited hunting of big game animals happens all over Africa, it is very lucrative.
    Personnally I would find the idea of executing a lion or elephant rather sick (not enough skill involved to call it a sport IMO).
    I shoot things to eat - fine, better than commercially farmed meat or battery birds.
    I shoot things that are a pest in my locale - eg they kill other animals or birds and need to be managed.
    I also have no problem with a controlled cull if it is in the interest of the species and there is no other option, carried out by the game wardens with the skill and knowledge.
    Of course all of Africa is infested with nelliphants, nowhere else they could be moved to .....

I strongly disagree with some fat cnut paying thousands to execute an elephant - which is what I suspect may happen here. In fact I would be prepared to pay an equivalent amount to defend the elephant on equal terms :twisted:
  3. EX_STAB

EX_STAB Clanker

How fat the foreign hunter may be is less relevant than how much he is prepared to pay. It's a very effective way to raise VERY substantial funds for conservation programmes. These funds can provide a good income for locals - sufficient to encourage them into stopping poaching which is far more damaging.
  4. squiffy_parsons

squiffy_parsons Clanker

Must get out the old .600 Nitro Expresss....mmmmmm Elephant steaks

Attached Files:

• .600.jpg
      File size:
      23.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor)

I have spent a fair bit of time in Africa and what you say is often true on some levels - but the money almost never goes to conservation, it goes into local officials pockets.
    I find the people prepared to pay to do this extremely distasteful, they also cast a shadow over other people who hunt for more legitimate reasons.
  6. old_bloke

old_bloke Clanker

Money Talks.

It costs $ 200,000 to go and KILL the big 5 in any "good" canned hunting area in SA.

I had the unfortunate pleasure of being advised to stay in the “Leopard Rock lodge” after my luggage was lost and I had to stay in SA before moving onto Botswana.

We arrive to hear we had missed the Rhino hunt by a day? WTF aren’t they protected?

“Oh no, well not if you have if you have 50 grand to spare. FUKKERS the lot.
  7. mac1

mac1 Clanker

Frankly, I agree with pretty much everything in your post especially the fat cnut executing the elephant. OTOH fifteen mile stalks followed by a quick clean kill by someone who can really shoot that I've read about is the best way to do it IMHO.
  8. Whiskybreath

Whiskybreath Clanker MiA (Donor)

If only the excess could be driven up to Angola. The country has nothing in the way of wildlife - all eaten. You're lucky to hear a bird sing there. I've seen camel and elephant herds driven the length of a country before, successfully, so there's no deep logistical problem. There might be an issue in persuading the Angolans not to eat them immediately, but I'm sure NuLab could lend a few PRs to Luanda first.
  9. ash_p

ash_p Clanker

I agree with fat nuggets paying ludicrous sums of money to take down these beasts. But whether it's them or a culler working for the nature reserve, etc. doing it, it still has to be done in certain areas. They pose a great threat to people as they are very aggressive animals when they believe they are being confronted. They also rip down trees at an alarming rate.

As I say, foreign folk going down to SA to shoot up the big five should be shot and gang raped themselves.

Mod edit
  10. Forastero

Forastero Clanker Moderator

Enough of the racist terms. Take it somewhere else, gents.
  11. jinxy

jinxy Clanker

Shut up you fat twat!
  12. .338lapua_magnum

.338lapua_magnum Clanker MiA (Donor)

Well I have no problem with eli's being hunted and killed. The reaction so far has been pretty well what you expect from Brits. If someone with money is prepared to go after elis and get a 15m shot I take my hat off to him because that takes real balls, even if you have two PH's behind you.

Hunting and killing eli or for that matter lion is no different than killing anything else. Elephants are not quite as rare as some animal protection organisations would have you believe and so there is no reason not to kill a percentage other than emotional. Bit like seals in this country. The place is rotten with them, we have greenpeace telling use how that they are endangered and no politician has the balls to permit a legal cull because he would be hung out to dry by greenpiss. A clear case of emotion getting in the way of good practice.
  13. ash_p

ash_p Clanker

Yessir.

Side note, not very interesting... but the now Environment Minister, Marthinus van Schalkwyk, used to be my dads boss when he was in parliament :roll:
  14. Whiskybreath

Whiskybreath Clanker MiA (Donor)

If you can guarantee a constructive use for all of the carcase I'd agree with you. Until then, get thinking. There's nothing in the world as repulsive as a hunter who kills for his pleasure and wastes the kill.
  15. Forastero

Forastero Clanker Moderator

Been at the brave pills, have we?