1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Something From History You Probably Never Knew...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by MotorMan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog Crow

Nay dramas Goatman, I wasn't so much responding to your good self as adding meat to the thread.

I quite enjoy this thread....
  2. BarkingSpider

BarkingSpider Clanker

[quote="chocolate_frog]I quite enjoy this thread....[/quote]

Me too, I thought the_boy_syrup's dit about the green line in Cyprus is fascinating.
  3. tiger stacker

tiger stacker Clanker

Although Seraph was scrapped in 1963, her periscope and other items were presented by the British government to the Military College of South Carolina, where General Clark was the president for some years and where the Seraph Monument commemorates Anglo-American co-operation during the Second World War; it is the only place in the United States permitted to fly the White Ensign.

Amazing what you learn when reading obituaries
  4. polar69

polar69 Clanker MiA (Donor)

5. Chef

Chef Clanker

The prancing horse symbol on Ferrari cars was based on the horse painted on WW1 air ace Count Francesco Baracca's aircraft.
  6. jonwilly

jonwilly Clanker

ER NOT MILITARY, but as the subject has been brought up
    The "Cavallino Rampante" Prancing Horse Logo
    Count Francesco Baracca

The famous symbol of the Ferrari race team is a black prancing stallion on a yellow shield, usually with the letters S F (for Scuderia Ferrari), with three stripes of green, white and red (the Italian national colors) at the top. The road cars have a rectangular badge on the hood (see picture above), and, optionally, the shield-shaped race logo on the sides of both front wings, close to the door.

On June 17, 1923, Enzo Ferrari won a race at the Savio track in Ravenna where he met the Countess Paolina, mother of Count Francesco Baracca, an ace of the Italian air force and national hero of World War I, who used to paint a horse on the side of his planes. The Countess asked Enzo to use this horse on his cars, suggesting that it would bring him good luck. The original "prancing horse" on Baracca's airplane was painted in red on a white cloud-like shape, but Ferrari chose to have the horse in black (as it had been painted as a sign of grief on Baracca's squadron planes after the pilot was killed in action) and he added a canary yellow background as this is the color of the city of Modena, his birthplace. The Ferrari horse was, from the very beginning, markedly different from the Baracca horse in most details, the most noticeable being the tail that in the original Baracca version was pointing downward.

Ferrari has used the cavallino rampante on official company stationery since 1929. Since the Spa 24 Hours of July 9, 1932, the cavallino rampante has been used on Alfa Romeos raced by Scuderia Ferrari.

john
    Luvved um since the Shark Nose 166 of my yoof.
  7. Chef

Chef Clanker

The orange Mae Wests worn in the film 'The battle of Britain' should have been green/beige or other camouflage colours but wern't because they were 1950's purchases for the film.
  8. Volunteer

Volunteer Clanker

The Zulu spear was called after the sound it made when stabbing an enemy, "Kwik-kwok".
  9. Murphy_Slaw

Murphy_Slaw Clanker

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
    All the king's horses and all the king's men
    Couldn't put Humpty together again!

Humpty Dumpty was a powerful cannon during the English Civil War (1642-49). It was mounted on top of the St. Mary's at the Wall Church in Colchester defending the city against siege in the summer of 1648. (Although Colchester was a Parliamentarian stronghold, it was captured by the Royalists who held it for 11 weeks.) The church tower was hit by the enemy and the top of the tower was blown off, sending "Humpty" tumbling to the ground. Naturally the King's men tried to mend him but in vain.
    The "men" would have been Royalist infantry, and "horses" the cavalry troops.
  10. jonwilly

jonwilly Clanker

If the membership would like to comment on this Email I received.

WW II Trivia

You might enjoy this from Col D. G. Swinford, USMC, Ret. and history buff. You would really have to dig deep to get this kind of ringside seat to history:

1. The first German serviceman killed in WW II was killed by the Japanese ( China , 1937), the first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians ( Finland , 1940); highest ranking American killed was Lt Gen Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps. So much for allies.

2. The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. His benefits were later restored by act of Congress.

3. At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced 'sink us'), the shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division was the Swastika, and Hitler's private train was named 'Amerika.' All three were soon changed for PR purposes.

4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the Marine Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of being killed was 71%.

5. Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot. You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese Ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.

6. It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a mistake. Tracers had different ballistics so (at long range) if your tracers were hitting the target 80% of your rounds were missing. Worse yet tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE THIS ONE........

7. When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest private to Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen. Patton (who had himself photographed in the act).

8. German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City, but they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

9. German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

10. Among the first 'Germans' captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians, and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans, and forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the US Army.

AND I SAVED THE BEST FOR LAST....

11. Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 United States and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands . 21 troops were killed in the assault on the island. It could have been worse if there had been any Japanese on the island.

john
  11. broken_man

broken_man Clanker

Soldiers being soldiers, I probably could have guessed this one!

Good set of facts there, cheers.
  12. Trotsky

Trotsky Clanker

Didn't Macarthur pee in the Yalu?

Trotsky
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin Clanker Reviewer Book Reviewer Supporter - ADC Reviews Editor

On 29th January 1856, Queen Victoria institutes the medal which bears her name.
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy Clanker Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

He was always on the pish!
  15. björn

björn Clanker