Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

So I get a call from the police today...

Pleasant young lady who thanked me for reporting the break in to my vehicle and asking would it be possible for an officer to come out and check the vehicle for any evidence that might identify the offender and see if neighbours may have cctv recorded to the same end.

The kind of solid response to relatively low level crime that would be reassuring that we were getting value for money for our taxes.

Only problem is the vehicle was broken into 11 months ago and when i originally reported it i got a crime number and told it was an isolated incident so they would not be sending anyone out (despite the guy who replaced my broken window saying he had 4 in that morning from within a mile of my gaff with the exact same MO)

I can get forces being too stretched to do anything about vehicle crime but keeping it in the system for nearly a year and then deciding to spring into action?

Anyone from a police background shed any light?

I'm not from a police background but cynical Gary believes that when the Peelers are busy at something inconsequential it's so they have an excuse for not being at the riot a mile away.

I first noted this phenomenon about ten years ago when doing security on the door of a pub midweek because there was a Traveller funeral in town. After work when driving the ten miles home I was stopped at no less than two checkpoints. Busy checking tax and insurance Sarge, totally missed the ten knackers fighting in the Main Street.

Pleasant young lady who thanked me for reporting the break in to my vehicle and asking would it be possible for an officer to come out and check the vehicle for any evidence that might identify the offender and see if neighbours may have cctv recorded to the same end.

The kind of solid response to relatively low level crime that would be reassuring that we were getting value for money for our taxes.

Only problem is the vehicle was broken into 11 months ago and when i originally reported it i got a crime number and told it was an isolated incident so they would not be sending anyone out (despite the guy who replaced my broken window saying he had 4 in that morning from within a mile of my gaff with the exact same MO)

I can get forces being too stretched to do anything about vehicle crime but keeping it in the system for nearly a year and then deciding to spring into action?

End of the crime report year tomorrow.....

Obviously, I wouldn't suggest that police forces' have dicked people to go through the crimes and top and tail and/or see if there are any that can (a) be written off for crime reporting purposes or (b) make sure that all reported crimes make the minimum standard.

Once upon a time i got handed six months worth of burglaries to re-investigate and make sure that they were all dealt with correctly. i politely told the DS that whilst I had no problems with pattern and trying to identify offenders to deal with crimes by way of "Taking into Consideration" and put people in prison; if he thought i was going to knock on some doors and say "can you remember anything suspicious six months ago" so he could just write them off, he could jog on.

But if you don't like it, why not ask that nice person from team red or team blue when they pop around whether crime figures actually mean anything?

I think they have only just abolished ACPO chief officer bonuses for delivering on Home Office crime statistic targets. Now if the bosses are on up to 5% of their pay as a bonus for crime statistic targets....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8367333/Bonuses-go-in-bonfire-of-police-perks.html

One accepted a £6, 500 bonus for meeting targets in 2011/12 according to one newspaper.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/9901595.Gwent_chief_constable_slammed_for_accepting_pay_bonus/

So if there is (or at least was) money in hitting the home office target, what do you think the bosses are going to do?

The one that got up my nose was about fifteen years ago, my neighbor got assulted and shortly after he left hospital he enquired how the hunt for the villain was going, he got the feeling that he was being fobbed of when he was told the identity of the officer in charge/investigating the crime.. The named officer had been shot and wounded about a month before his assault and was still on sick leave. He complained wide and loudly to anybody that would listen, turns out that at the time a lot of crime the police did not want to waste their time on was put in the wounded officers name..

You must be overdue a return visit from the thief. They often return at a later date when you have think it's all in the past and you have replaced what was nicked.

My brother got burgled and he came home from the pub and walked in on them. Cue burglars jumping out of windows and running up the road empty handed.

They weren't bothered though. They just hung around for six months and then returned and nicked it all then. They didn't even bother with the windows on the return visit. They just smashed the front door down.

Not much point in investigating s if the culprit is caught and brought to court they will only get a slapped wrist , hang a few of the basterds and crime will show a real decrease

Why did you waste the Old Bills time in reporting this in the first place?

I'm surprised at you, all the recent threads on here about the police and how busy they are and how useless they are and you go and report your car been screwed. Every week, nay most days there is a new thread on here about the police and how strapped for resources and short of manpower they are and you go and add to their woes and then have the audacity to complain when eleven months later you get a phone call about your crime.

Jesus man be grateful that they are still investigation and leaving no stone unturned!

End of the crime report year tomorrow.....

Obviously, I wouldn't suggest that police forces' have dicked people to go through the crimes and top and tail and/or see if there are any that can (a) be written off for crime reporting purposes or (b) make sure that all reported crimes make the minimum standard.

Once upon a time i got handed six months worth of burglaries to re-investigate and make sure that they were all dealt with correctly. i politely told the DS that whilst I had no problems with pattern and trying to identify offenders to deal with crimes by way of "Taking into Consideration" and put people in prison; if he thought i was going to knock on some doors and say "can you remember anything suspicious six months ago" so he could just write them off, he could jog on.

But if you don't like it, why not ask that nice person from team red or team blue when they pop around whether crime figures actually mean anything?

I think they have only just abolished ACPO chief officer bonuses for delivering on Home Office crime statistic targets. Now if the bosses are on up to 5% of their pay as a bonus for crime statistic targets....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8367333/Bonuses-go-in-bonfire-of-police-perks.html

One accepted a £6, 500 bonus for meeting targets in 2011/12 according to one newspaper.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/9901595.Gwent_chief_constable_slammed_for_accepting_pay_bonus/

So if there is (or at least was) money in hitting the home office target, what do you think the bosses are going to do?
Thanks boumer, that would explain it. Pretty depressing though as i guess the criminals know this too and probably having a booming time out robbing while the police are all busy pretending to investigate year old crimes to hit some target or other.

Our local school has an ongoing problem with drivers parking on the zigzag lines outside, and hence parents are asked to report the details of the culprits to the school, so that the police can "have a word". In reality, our PCSO's do everything they can to avoid confrontation. I recently supplied them with full details of a perpetrator, and the response was "we will continue to patrol the area". So I asked why they weren't going to speak to him, to which they replied suggesting I make a Police Statement, and they would consider whether it would go to court or not. Since the person is the father of a child in my child's class, this wasn't really in the best interests of my family. So he has gone unchallenged.

Could it be because the perpatrator is a Solicitor?!

Or are the police just idle?

I had some idiot drive into me on Saturday by Tesco on Abbeydale Road and then drive off without exchanging details. I got a partial plate, make, model and colour of car. I rung the police and they said that they won't take action as there were no witnesses. So I'm left with a caved in door with a ton of of paintwork missing and no chance of getting the insurance to pay out as the cops won't give me a crime number.

Tossers.