SIA License with criminal record

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by mon_colonel, Nov 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mon_colonel

mon_colonel LE

Could anyone tell me if its possible to get an SIA license with a minor criminal record or do you have to be spotless in that regard or are there ways around this ?

2. JP47

JP47 LE

Yes it is. drop me a line with the details and I'll look into it

3. charlie9

charlie9

4. Alec_Lomas

Alec_Lomas LE

Not the most positive of responses I know, however, the buzz around London is that the SIA has a very limited life expectancy in the new Cameron / Clegg alliance war on quangoes.

5. Joker62

Joker62 LE Book Reviewer

That may well be the case, but there will be another dept to take on the role of the SIA, trust me. The last thing the Govt needs now is to stop licensing and then refund all the cash spent on licences by people over the last 2 years. Mine is up for renewal in Dec 2012, so if they get binned now, I'll be applying for two thirds of £245 back along with a lot of others.

6. mon_colonel

mon_colonel LE

Thanks charlie9 I had'nt come across that before, looks like I'm out the running, the reason I ask if theres a way round it is I know of a couple of guys I served with one who was recently released after doing 10 years for attempted murder and firearms posession and another with numerous drug convictions who have both got their SIA licenses and are working over Iraq as CPO's thats my query as to if theres another route to getting this ?

7. Blacklisted

Blacklisted Old-Salt

The SIA are joke there is this idiot that lives near me, he and two of his mates jumped a guy walking back form a night out playing pool, they all kicked the shit of the guy then one of them repeatedly stabbed him till he was dead. one of them got life and the other two got 18 months . One of them is wearing an SIA badge and is working as security guard In B&Q now. The one that actually stabbed the guy to death was already on bail for an attempted murder charge at the time, and the last **** was recently in the local rag for mugging a 14 year old boy for his jacket.

Knife youth gets life for murder with no motive | Daily Mail (London, England), The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

WHY WAS THIS EVIL THUG FREED TO KILL?; BAIL ROW: MONSTER HAD MAIMEM A MAN WITH A BASEBALL BAT. - Free Online Library

8. When I joined my company, the operations manager said to me "Getting a badge has nothing to do with how many criminal convictions you've got, just how well you hide them. During your career you'll meet as many unbadged security stewards who can't be badged because they fucked up their council tax and were honest about the court hearings on their paperwork, as you will licensed security guards who're convicted murderers who neglected to mention it"

He also said that post-prison, there are government schemes designed to help offenders find new jobs. One of these career paths is licensed security. Unfortunately, the hot shot who came up with that idea never really spoke about it at any length to the hot shot who came up with the licensing idea, and every year, thousands of ex-cons get sent into the security industry as part of their post-jail rehabilitation. Oh great.

9. Joker62

Joker62 LE Book Reviewer

Dizzle, to gain a licence, you have to undergo a CRB check, so just omiitting convictions from the application form doesn't quite cut it. I know of people who have had their application turned down on a CRB check.

10. I am perfectly aware of that, I have one. When I said 'neglected to mention it' I didn't mean they just didn't write it. It seems there all sorts of ways to go about covering up wrongdoings, and the senior doorstaff are often just those who are better at it.

11. But then you are assuming the form ever finds it way to the Liverpool Offices of the CRB.

12. Joker62

Joker62 LE Book Reviewer

The proof of that would be a nice sealed envelope with your name on it containing your copy of said CRB ^^

13. martin7606

martin7606 Old-Salt

A guy on my team was refused his SIA license having been convicted of a public order offence. Appealed the decision, even got a quick solicitors letter advising the SIA that the matter would be persued as far as they could take it. SIA wrote back saying that the decision had been reviewed and they were happy to issue a license as long as no claim was made against them for the cost of the legal fees. Since then, I have heard of several others who have been successfuly granted licenses as soon as they have shown willingness to appeal.

The thing to remember is that the SIA license is, in theory, only of use if working in the UK. The SIA is not in the least concerned about activities of security contracors in Iraq or Afghan, it is concerned solely with CP staff in the UK. However, some companies and some clients (usually FCO) will require team members to have a SIA license despite the fact that the employee will be carrying out their duties outside of the UK. That said, many other companies will often just want to see that you have done a CP course, whether you go on to apply or the badge or not is not always important. The ability to do the job is.