Scottish Poppies vs. English Poppies

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Galileo82, Nov 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All

I haven’t read this anywhere here so I thought I would drop it in. I recently discovered that there is a difference between Scottish Poppies and English Poppies. When I saw the ones news presenters etc were wearing I just thought it was a fancy one, but no, they are English ones.

The English poppy has two petals and a leaf and the Scottish one has four petals and no leaf.

On further investigation (Poppyscotland) I discovered that apart from being botanically incorrect, it would cost £15 000 to attach a leaf to each of the Scottish poppies, money which Scotland feels could be better spent on veterans and their dependants in Scotland.

This shocked me. Why does England put a leaf on the poppies, when it is botanically incorrect and costly, money which could be given to veterans? I was under the impression that all poppies were created by the Earl Haig fund, is that just Scottish? Are English ones made under the Royal British Legion?

Any clarification on these points would be well received!

2. msr

msr LE

3. For once our Scottish "Thriftyness" is actually a good thing. Should be across the board though if the money is saved for Veterans and can be spent better elsewhere.
  4. My Grandfather used to get an English poppy sent up by a friend, he would not wear a haig fund one as he thought Haig was a cnut of the 1st order. As a former HLI man who lot 3 brothers in WW1 he was entitled to his choice I reckon.
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yes, we did it last year. Link.
  6. But why should there be a difference? Surely the cheaper the poppy is to produce the more money there will be in the bank?

Also, why spend MORE money to make it botanically incorrect? That defies reason!
  7. Im Scottish and I always wear a poppy with a leaf on it, due to its significance on the poppy.
    I was in London a few years ago for remembrance Sunday, I bought a poppy in London and it just happened to have a leaf on it at the time I didn't think of it I just pinned it to my breast. An old man stopped me in the street and asked if he could move my poppy as he did he explained to me that he was a veteran in his day he told me a story of how he lost his friend and he told me the significance of the red and the black in the poppy which I new but he also told me that the leaf should point in the direction of 11 o'clock to represent the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Oh yeah cut and paste but it's not true.
  9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The 11 o'clock leaf is a complete loaf of bollocks. Why the English poppy has a leaf is lost in the depths of time but I suppose it was to add a bit of different colour.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Did it always have a leaf? I remember the old school poppies when I was a kid. It was a kind of red fabric poppy with a black moulded bitumen centre stamped with 'Haig Fund' and with a short length of fuse wire running from it to attach to the buttonhole.

I don't remember any leaves.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. That's because it was aaaaaall fields.....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Yet the metal poppy pin has a leaf at roughly 11 O'Clock, go figure!
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It had to go somewhere, doesn't make the leaf on the paper poppy so. If it was an 11 o'clock meaning then why does the paper one not get fixed there? Easy enough to do.
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

11 o'clock. Nice idea but cobblers.

From BBC "There are also many people who say that the leaf should point to 11 o'clock. The Royal British Legion told Newsbeat: "There is no right or wrong way to wear a poppy. It is a matter of personal choice whether an individual chooses to wear a poppy and also how they choose to wear it. The best way to wear a poppy is to wear it with pride."