Scotland digs in

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by RCSignals, Sep 15, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

2. dogmonkey

dogmonkey LE

1. Losing any regiments is bad enough, but the fact remains, we are about to lose some.

2. Whilst this is going to be unpopular with those of you north of the border, no amount of stomping of feet / traditions etc can make up fot the fact that it looks like only 1 will go forever, whilst 2 was the number earmarked at the end of Jacko's (somewhat spurious - see Guards thread) calculation. Instead, to placate those north of the border, and I do not detract from their achievements, or abilities, one has apparently been given a reprieve. This is clearly even more b0llocks than removing Paras and Guards from the 'up for eviction' vote this cut-time. If 2 Jock regts failed to make the cut, get rid. Do not foist this fate on another Regt which made the initial cut.
  3. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

4. Rincewind

Rincewind LE

Out of interest - althought the "regiments" are being binned - what happens to the soldier within those regiments? do they get binned too or rebadged?

Surely its the latter? but some people were telling me the whole regiment was getting the chop - manpower and name.

if this is the case - can we afford the drop in staffing?

Yours Aye.

Rincewind
  5. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

As I understand, these are Infantry reductions, which include soldiers. Some soldiers apparently will be offered positions in other Corps, such as REME, Signals, etc.
  6. Line_Grunt

Line_Grunt War Hero

I would suggest that people should look a little bit further than the campaign slogan - almost all those involved in "stomping their feet" are against any cuts to the Infantry and the Army as a whole - it just happens that the Scottish Regiments are the immediate representation of the Army to them.

It is a shame that it is only the Jocks that seem to be making a noise about this and for having the balls at Regimental HQ level to speak out against TCH and the proposed plans. I seriously doubt whether you will find much dismay at the thought of pulling Scots Div under 1 umbrella amongst most people - so long as the names and traditions of the component parts are left untouched.

What so many find so hard to understand is:
    1. why, when a recruiting freeze has been implemented the MoD are still talking about shortfalls in recruiting!!!!!
    2. when it is likely that the UK will be involved in Iraq and other humanitarian / peace keeping operations / possible intervention / war fighting operations are the numbers of Infantry soldiers and Units being reduced?
    3. Why is so much heavy kit being mothballed when the proposed replacement is not even beyond concept stage on the UK drawing board (and when the US, who have been toying with the FRES concept, are seriously thinking about ditching it and going for something with a bit more survivability!)
    4. Why is so much money continuing to be poured into some of the seriously blackhole projects that are currently ongoing - I mean Bowman has been promised for years and it is in no way ready for full roll out - if the horror stories are to be believed then god help the lot of us...

If the time and effort were put in at local levels in the communities that the regiments recruit from it would pay of far better than groovy tv adverts, websites and the frankly idiotic recruitment and HR consultants waffle - but this requires manpower and the delivery of the promises/statements made or infered in the recruiting campaigns...something probably not possible in the current operational climate...
  7. Plastic Yank

Plastic Yank War Hero

Having lived through one amalgamation i would not wish that upon anyone, but L-G has many good points.

yes it will be a shame if the regiments go, but if we cannot recruit then what's to be done. It is not as if there are not those in Scotland wanting to join the Army, just have a good listen around any Para Reg and you'll be surprised at the number of jocks who are Toms!

The problem is glamour. No young kid wants to join the army and end up in Edinburgh. Its much easier when my mob were in Berlin or Germany (as they are now). Recruitment not a problem then. I realise all regiments have this problem, but with a limited population Scotland cannot sustain 6 Infantry regiments - well 7 actually, when you included the Jock Guards.

I know i'll end up with a claymore in my back but something has to give. Multi Battalion regiments, as we had in the 18/19th C with, home battalions responsible for recruitment and training (preferrably in Scotland) and ops battalions sent abroard is a very sensible idea.

I have the greatest respect for Alex Salmond, even if i don't like his politics, but he is not being honest with the public and no amount of nationalistic pride or parades are going to change the fact that we JUST CANNOT RECRUIT.

you may begin your attack
  8. Vonshot

Vonshot War Hero

With a freeze on recruitment, explain the continued press and other mediums advertising for soldier and officer recruitment?

I know press campaigns are planned months in advance but cancellation of contracts and penalty fees are still cheaper than going ahead with advertising for non existent places. The COI books all forces recruitment from the allocated budgets, again yet annother example of chronic financial mismanagement

which results in..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

IDIOTS
  9. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

I think you have missed the point. There is a FREEZE on recruiting.

There also seems to have been a change in designated recruiting levels, which make it appear Regiments have not met their requirements, when in fact they have under the old levels. With a recruiting Freeze on, they cannot meet the newer quotas.
    Seems to be a smoke and mirrors effect.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2004/09/06/story6304372t0.shtm

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/output/2004/08/30/story6280693t0.shtm
  10. miniTJ

miniTJ Old-Salt

i just think its ridiculous the jacko was said to be slurring the name of th eserving jocks when he wasn't - he was talking about recruitment and jocks who are not in the army - not those that are in and the work they do - muppets!

TJ
  11. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

the "muppets" may have it right
  12. RCSignals

RCSignals LE

13. Plastic Yank

Plastic Yank War Hero

It's good to see the BW mobilising their old and bold, and truth be told the Hackle have always been good at this.

maybe the old joke of "well, when the Queen Mum dies...." is no longer a joke.

however, whilst i agree with the above ref. recruitment band, that doesn't excuse the fact that many jock bns were struggling to recruit even before it - i will of course accept that the Watch were doing very well for themselves in Germany and my old colleagues tell me the Hldrs are also getting better numbers, but this is normally at the expense of other regiments.

Truth is, Jackson was not wrong! BRING BACK JUNIOR SOLDIERS!
  14. MacPherson

MacPherson Swinger

A number of points keep being mentioned which can be expanded...

1. The recruiting freeze has been imposed because HM Treasury cannot and will not pay for any more soldiers in certain roles. This is not because a lack of committments allows a reduction in expenditure, but because the government is not willing to pay for the services is makes extremely heavy use of.

2. There will probably be very few cuts, as the level that the army is trying to recruit to has just been lowered to where it currently is, roughly.

3. To ensure long-term stability, a Regiment MUST be able to recruit its own. Some, by virtue of their geographical location, are faced with low unemployment, and find it harder to recruit. Others are simply trying to squeeze too many soldiers out of too sparsely populated an area. These facts must be faced up to; they are not about to change. Battalions which are over a company under strength, even with Fijians etc, cannot claim to be a viable prospect for the future. No regiment can justifiably argue that their strength is down because of a recruiting freeze. The freeze is fairly recent, whereas poor recruiting has been the issue for the last 7-10 years.

4. Its not just a Scottish Regiment issue, where the loss of only 1 unit is expected. Spare a thought for the Prince of Wales Division who are likely to lose 2. The Scottish Division has received more coverage because it has been more vocal.

5. When it is eventually decided which regiments will be lost, I suspect that the other scottish regiments still in existence will welcome the extra manpower. No consolation to the losers however.

6. As a final note, poor recruiting is not the only reason for regiments being under strength. Equally important is retention, i.e. preventing soldiers from wanting to leave. With operational tour intervals often being less than 1 year, and there consequently being no time for the fun parts of being in the army (adventure training etc), people have voted with their feet and left. Regiments would find it easier to retain soldiers if they had a bit more space to breathe between tours, or were not working so hard to cover for other units which were deployed.

Mac
  15. RCSignals

RCSignals LE