Rules on having a business as a soldier?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by FutureAlanSugar, Dec 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FutureAlanSugar

FutureAlanSugar Swinger

Can anyone shed some light on the exact regulations. There is a lot of conventional wisdom on the subject but I am yet to see it in black and white.

2. kilo42

kilo42 LE

Are you a storeman and what have you got for sale ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. One of my mates asked me the very same question a few weeks ago, and I got some good info from a thread on here. Do a search, and you should find it.

4. gundog

gundog Old-Salt

Quite simply:

1. It is done in off duty time

2. You do not connect it to the Army in any way by using the Army to promote it.

3. It does not bring the Army into disrepute or tarnish the reputation e.g. strip club owner

4. You cannot use an Army Address as a place of business. A bit flexible as some army wives are Avon reps and hold avon parties at their own quarter.

Those are it in a nutshell

5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

And, in my day, you needed the CO's permission. Expect it's in Queen's Regs somewhere.

6. CRmeansCeilingReached

CRmeansCeilingReached LE Moderator

who says you cannot? lots of wives do. all you need is permission from Defence Estates and the local COC, to run a business from your SFA. also ensure that your home & contents insurance will cover you for business use (or get extra business / liability insurance as appropriate).

7. count_duckula

count_duckula War Hero

My local is run by a gunner, he goes off to work each day, driving as he lives out and his wife keeps the place ticking over during the day.

8. Keep it quiet except to those you trust (those with something to hide). I did a brisk business in hash and dutyfree smokes while in the Forces. Beats delivering pizzas.

9. Bushmills

Bushmills LE

No he's an armourer............................................................................................

10. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Have a word with the chaps. Decide how you are going to nick the ******. Call in the cash from somewhere nobody gives a **** about, like a hedge fund in Canada setup a week last Tuesday, blag the MoD to buggary then spend the rest of your life trying to avoid paying tax on the job.

You could call it... oh, I dunno... QinetiQ?

11. kilo42

kilo42 LE

Wonder if he could find me a nice seldom used 303;we had a few of those in RAF armouries, anything more modern or Ramboesk would be beyond me. I have no idea what I would do with it, but rather like the idea of doing a bit of walting on armed forces day.

12. saladin

saladin LE

You naughty old cynic .