Royal Anglian Regiment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by kangorrilapig, Oct 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. kangorrilapig

kangorrilapig Old-Salt

I notice that the ARRSE Wiki has the 3rd Battalions nickname listed as'THE Pompadours'(old 56th/Essex Regt.) However I was under the impression that post amalgamation the new T.A. Battalion took on the traditions of 'The Steelbacks'(ex58th/Northhamptonshires) can any one confirm this either way?
  2. Nutter

Nutter Old-Salt

It has, the current 3rd battallion is the steelbacks. Old 3rd battalion the pompadours.
  3. Old_Gregg

Old_Gregg LE

That refers to the old regular 3rd Battalion that was disbanded during options for change I beleive. The TA battalion was 7 Royal Anglian before the unfortunate East of England Regt b*llocks a few years back.
  4. kangorrilapig

kangorrilapig Old-Salt

sorted,thanks!
  5. angular

angular LE

The 'new' Steelbacks took on elements of the 5th, 6th and 7th Battalions (shortly after my kit went over the wall).
  6. Pompadour

Pompadour

Greetings from an older Pompadour, nearly sorted, the 3rd battalion Royal Anglian Regiment was merged into the 1st and 2nd battalions during 1992, originally 3 East Anglian Regiment 1964, was made up from the old Essex Beds and Herts. Regiments 16/44 of foot.
    The new 3 Royal Anglian is, as you rightly say the Steelbacks.
    There are still a small number of Army cadet units badged Pompadours, in Essex Beds and Herts. I am told.
    The RAR shout of (all the 4444s) come from the Pompadours.
    See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trebor/links.html where the Pompadours live on!! Regimental March was Britania rules the waves!!

regards