1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Rowallan Company - Propaganda Booklet (circa 1982)

Discussion in 'Officers' started by KnightsofRowallan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Back in the good old days there was no internet and no Arrse website for you to endlessly ask questions and advice about RCB/AOSB.
    The endless hand wringing and questions, "can I go to sandhurst if I don't like spiders?", "Can I take a computer?" and "do I have to buy a suit?"

It was a simplier time. You got your instructions (printed on green paper), got yourself fit by running/tabbing in some old lightweights & BCH with some rocks in a sack on your back (as advised by Col (retd) Cadogan, thank you sir), got the kit list and then got yourself to the factory at the appointed time and date.

But then there was the greater mystery. The Rowallan Company pass from RCB. Your acceptance letter merely described it as a 10 week pre-sandhurst course.
    They even included a little booklet to show you how pleasant it would all be. Just a bit of adventure training really.
    This was to maximise the 'shock of capture' I am quite sure.

(And a hat tip to Gareth for letting me know what was coming and some useful tips or I doubt I would have survived the first day! e.g. Having 2 wash kits - vital).

Anyway, having a clear out and I found my little red book. So for nostalgia sake and to try and induce some flashbacks and horror stories I have scanned it and I will attempt to post it. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Horridlittleman and ooooh_matron like this.
  2. more pages.

Attached Files:

Horridlittleman likes this.
  3. The final pages. It was all so easy (apparently).

Attached Files:

Horridlittleman likes this.
  4. And not a red tracksuit in sight.
    Oldlongdog likes this.
  5. Bad CO

Bad CO Admin MiA (Donor) Gallery Guru

I lived above Rowallan when it was in the basement of Old College and had the pleasure of watching the lucky select few engaged in their 'mean machines' every day ..... they appear to have missed that out of the brochure.
  6. It strikes me that they left an awful LOT out of the brochure.
    Oldlongdog likes this.
  7. Nickhere

Nickhere Clanker

Thank god they binned Row-Co; I had a Rowallen pass when I did RCB in 2001. By the time I got to rmas in 2006 it was all gone!!
  8. Victorian_Major

Victorian_Major Clanker MiA (Donor)

Same here. We kept our heads away from the window as the apocryphal story was that someone mocked the RowCo convicts from the heady heights of Term 1 and found themself moving in with RowCo later that day.
    Oldlongdog and UKTAP like this.
  9. moving-target-survivor

moving-target-survivor Clanker Supporter - GCM

I thought RoCo was for the spazzes?
    UKTAP likes this.
  10. Donny

Donny Clanker Supporter - ADC

In the late 70s those who survived RowCo were generally really strong individuals - I can't speak for the ones who didn't get through.

Those I knew on SMC and RCC at Sandhurst had a Brit sort of 'you weren't there man, you just don't know' public face. I respected them for getting through it, and it seemed to serve them well.
    Oldlongdog likes this.
  11. moving-target-survivor

moving-target-survivor Clanker Supporter - GCM

To be fair I have heard similar sentiments - I just hadn't appreciated that it was a genuine preselection route (rather than back-squading alone)
  12. gallowglass

gallowglass Clanker

ImageUploadedByARRSE1347311229.184083.jpg

How lovely! The happy inmates pictured having finally snapped, and tied one of the DS to a stretcher....for his own safety of course.
  13. shortfuse

shortfuse Clanker MiA (Donor)

Gallowglass - I think you will find they are "enjoying the exhilaration of a stretcher race". I have been many things on stretcher races.... but never exhilarated.
  14. bokkatankie

bokkatankie Clanker Supporter - ADC

Bloke with glasses and a tache looks slightly old for that sort of thing! As does the one at the top. Looking more closely they appear to be twins?
  15. jinxy

jinxy Clanker

Some of us made that mistake at leconfied. We eded up marching with the WRACS
    taylortaylor and cloudbuster like this.