Rick Stein’s Lamb and Spinach Curry

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by spike7451, Jun 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 LE

RECIPE: Rick Stein’s Lamb and Spinach Curry

by sf Email

Mumrez Khan’s Lamb and Spinach Karahi curry recipe from the Karachi Restaurant in Neal Street, Bradford.

The Ingredients

250g (9oz) Ghee

3 tablespoons Fresh Coriander (chopped)

65g (2 1/2oz) Garlic

1 tablespoon Ground Turmeric

1 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder

350g (12oz) Fresh Spinach washed with large stalks removed

1 tablespoon Ground Cumin

4 medium sized Green Chillies with stalks removed

1 tablespoon Paprika

½ tablespoon Garam Masala

550g (1 1/4lb) Onions Chopped

1 x 400g (140z) Can Chopped Toms

50g (2oz) Fresh Ginger, peeled and chopped

1 tablespoon Salt

900g (2lb) Boneless leg or shoulder of Lamb (1½ in) cubes

1 tablespoon Ground Coriander

120ml (4fl oz) water

A pinch of ground cumin and freshly ground black pepper to serve

How to Cook

1. Heat the ghee in a large, heavy based pan. Add the onions and cook over a medium heat, stirring now and then, for 20 minutes until they are soft and a light brown

2. Put the tomatoes, water, ginger and garlic into a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon, add them to the paste and blend briefly until smooth.

3. Return the puree to the ghee left in the pan and add the lamb and salt. Simmer for 30 minutes, by which time the lamb will be half cooked and the sauce will be well reduced. Stir in the turmeric, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and ground coriander and continue to cook for 30-45 minutes for shoulder or 45-1 hour for leg, until the lamb is tender, adding a little water now and then if the sauce starts to stick.

4. Meanwhile, put 175g (6oz) of the spinach leaves into a large pan and cook until it has wilted down into the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then transfer to the rinsed out liquidizer and blend to a smooth puree. Set aside. Rinse out the liquidiser again and add the green chillies and 2-3 tablespoons of water and blend until smooth. Set aside.

5. When the lamb is cooked, there should be a layer of ghee floating on the top of the curry. You can either skim it off or leave it there, whichever you prefer. Then stir in the spinach puree and the remaining spinach leaves and cook for 2 minutes.

6. Now taste the curry and add as much green chilli puree as you wish, according to how hot you like your curries . Simmer for 2 minutes more.

7. Stir in the fresh coriander and Garam Masala. Transfer the curry to a serving dish and sprinkle with a little more ground cumin and some freshly ground black pepper just before you take it to the table.

Serve with your choice of rice, Naan breads, poppadoms and whatever else you can cram in.

2. buttonsin3s

buttonsin3s LE

Cheers for that Spike, had a look on the Saturday Kitchen website and it wasn't there. Sunday curry now sorted. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. spike7451

spike7451 LE

No problem mate,Took me a while to find it myself.
    I mean you'd think the BBC Food website would have a recipy from a BBC Cookery show on there would'nt you?..lol

4. Kitmarlowe

Kitmarlowe LE

I'm hungry now.........

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin LE

Ah, the Karahi Gosht (karahi saag gosht?)... truly the king of curries.

Google the above, and you'll find more recipes...

Or if you're lazy like me, use this http://store.asianfoodcompany.com/sh016.html , obtainable from your local Pakistani shop, throw in 6 x lamb/mutton chops and 12 x hot green chillies, and you're laughing... perspiring and weeping, but laughing...

6. Guys sorry to jump on this thread, but saving opening new one - I am big madras fan, however can anyone recommend a curry of similar heat except Chicken Jalfrezi, which I wasnt really impressed with.

I can go to vindaloo level but tend to struggle after that. I bow to your expert curry advice, please dont offer anthing less spicer than madras strength. I would be grateful for any further recipes also, as I do enjoy cooking them also!! Spent a bit time with the ghurkas also do and enjoys thiers flavour wise but the bones in goat gets alittle too much for as it was too much of regular occurence.

cheers bitter

7. hedgehog64

hedgehog64 LE

They do a lovely brains curry.I didn't ask what animal. :D

8. Whiskybreath

Whiskybreath LE

Ingredients are good, but I'd dispute the 20 minutes frying time for onion, and the idea of puree'ing the spinach doesn't sit well with me; I like it very briefly simmered and added at the end, separately (but everyone to his own). Ghee is all very well, too, but light olive oil is better. If you dry-fry and grind the spices you'll get a better dish all round, too - mustard seed is missing from that recipe.

Mind out for gout and cardiac flutter.

9. spike7451

spike7451 LE

bitter,
    Take a butchers HERE as it's,imho,the best place for Curry recipies!
    HTH,
    Spike

10. Silver_Bull

Silver_Bull War Hero

Monkey. I've been going to the Karachi since 81 but never tried that! The place has gone downhill since Rick Stein visited.

11. asmallbrownduck

asmallbrownduck Old-Salt

I would have to agree with you. I have also been going to the Karachi for over 20 years; it remains my favourite curry house, however I do think it has gone down hill a bit, especially since they tarted the place up in the 90's and fixed the holes in the carpet and replaced the "trainspotting" like loo.

Cheer's Spike for the recipe I will try it this week.

12. Silver_Bull

Silver_Bull War Hero

Considering I live in Bradford you'd think getting a good curry wouldn't be a problem but you either pay though the nose or end with utter sh1te. The Karachi was spot on in the 80s you couldn't have eaten 3 quids worth :D The Ambala is pretty good and I'm waiting for the Naseeb to reopen. Am informed the Sweet Centre is pretty good but not tried it.

13. Thud

Thud Old-Salt

If you're looking for a hard copy of this it's in Rick Stein's 'Food Heroes'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0563521759/?tag=armrumser-21

This is one of the best currys I know, and have made countless times. The best bit is it can be as hot or mild as you like by varying the amount of green chilli you add at the end.

Try his book 'Eastern Odyssey' for more curries (and hotter ones)

14. Mugatu2

Mugatu2 Old-Salt

Vindaloo doesn't necessarily have to be all that hot... similarly something like tikka Masala doesn't have to be mild.... it all depends on how much chilli you're putting in, so thankfully, as you're cooking it yourself, you can make it as hot as you want to.

My favourite website for authentic Indian restaurant standard curries is Curry Frenzy. Try their recipe for a standard chicken curry, or have a go at the Dhansak, which is excellent, medium hot, sour, sweet, delicious.
    http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Chicken-Curry.html
    http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/recipes/Chicken-Dhansak.html

You can get the ginger puree, garlic puree etc from any Indian grocer. I'm lucky as I live in West London, so there's loads of grocers near me.

15. spike7451

spike7451 LE

Mug,
    Thanks for the linky matey.Gonna try a few of them,
    Spike.