RAF Changi Singapore

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Scabster_Mooch, Jan 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scabster_Mooch

Scabster_Mooch LE

Anyone here served at RAF Changi and have pictures they would like to share? I am particularly interested in information and pictures of the Temple Hill Officers' Mess.

Just a few years ago, I was stationed there for almost 2 years (not with the british armed forces though). Whilst doing guard duty, I would sometimes see caucasians walk by with their cameras reminiscing about by-gone days. Its odd...whilst I was there I couldn't care less about the heritage of the area in which I was serving. Now I'm out, I would like to find out more about the area.

For those who are interested, the whole area have now been taken over by the Singapore Air Force and is no longer open to the public. I reckon many of the buildings will be demolised as well!

[​IMG]

Temple Hill Officiers' Mess is number 17 on the map.

2. my father and grand father served at changi they might have pictures,both served at seletar aswell, what were you doing working over there if i may ask?

3. Scabster_Mooch

Scabster_Mooch LE

I am from Singapore and served my National Service in the Singapore Army. I was posted there and spent almost 2 years there. A pity I did not know about the area's rich history until now! It was apparently the largest transit base of the RAF in the region. From some reading I have done on the net, apparently, the Brits did their jumgle survival course in the area as well. I can't imagine where though. Not much forests in the area.

4. Crabfat_fnark

Crabfat_fnark

The objective was to learn how to survive if your aircraft came down in the jungle. Helicopters were particularly prone to this problem.

We did classroom training at a 'school' near the beach. That would be near today's fuel jetty. We were taught to recognize various edible plants, and how to prepare and eat animals such as snakes, worms and grubs. I found snakes to be surprisingly delicious. Also after wrapping up wood grubs in a cloth and beating them to a jelly they didn't look repulsive any more and tasted pretty good. I never managed to eat roast monkey - with all the fur burned off they looked too much like little children...

Once the classroom training was completed we went over to Johor for jungle craft - building sleeping 'basha's' and making fire etc. Most important, we learned how to get drinkable 'water' - the stuff we got from cutting a vine seemed the most drinkable. Finally the test. We were formed into imaginary aircraft crews, then each crew was abandoned in the jungle somewhere near Gemas and we had to find our own way out.

Cheers!

5. Scabster_Mooch

Scabster_Mooch LE

Sounds tough and realistic. The SAF doesn't do that anymore because unfortuantely (or fortunately) we are now independent of malaysia. Hence jungle survivial trg is usually done on Pulau Tekong or in Brunei. We seem to have knicked the lesson format off you though. 1 week theory lesson + practical on identifying edible plants (no more snakes or worms :? ), and one week jungle survival practical, including 2-3days of resistance to interrogation.

Btw, the changi area can be viewed on Google earth. If you take a look, you will see that there aren't any vegetated areas in changi anymore. Unless you call a golf course a vegetated area.