QLR in OP Corporate

Discussion in 'Falkland Islands (Op CORPORATE)' started by steveh, Nov 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. steveh

steveh Clanker

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not even the QOH who tipped up at the end of the fighting were entitled.

3. Dragstrip

Dragstrip LE

It would appear not, unless your friend was an IR or similar.

History of the QLR (according to Wikipedia):

Since formation, the Queen's Lancashires have served on operations in Northern Ireland in 1970, 1971 - 1972, 1975 - 1976 (resident), 1977, 1980 - 1981, 1987, 1990 - 1992, 1997 - 1999 (resident) and 2001 during the course of which eight soldiers were killed in action.

The 1st Battalion undertook two tours with BAOR in the mechanised role. The first of which was with 12 Mechanised Brigade in Osnabruck from 1970 to 1974. The second was with 33 Armoured Brigade in Paderborn from 1984 - 1990. The 1st Battalion also had the honour of being the last British Battalion to serve in Berlin prior to the final withdrawal in 1994.

Overseas service saw the 1st Battalion posted to Cyprus from 1978 - 1980 as the Eastern Sovereign Base Area Resident Battalion, and again in 1983, where they saw service with the United Nations. A company was dispatched to the Falkland Islands in the aftermath of the 1982 war. The 1st Battalion returned to Cyprus as the Western Sovereign Base Area Resident Battalion from 2004 - 2005, again dispatching a company to the Falkland Islands.

In 1996 the 1st Battalion served as part of IFOR in Bosnia operating in the area known as "The Anvil"

The regiment's 1st Battalion saw service in Iraq in the months immediately following Operation Telic, from June to November 2003. Given responsibility for Iraq's second city, Basrah, it gained much praise for its efforts to restore security and civil order, but also suffered casualties of one dead and 32 injured sufficiently seriously to require medical evacuation to the United Kingdom.

Overseas training deployments were frequent for the 1st Battalion including exercises in Canada, the Gambia, Belize, Kenya and the Oman.

In 1983 and again in 1995, the 1st Battalion had the honour of conducting public duties, providing the Royal Guard in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Lancashire_Regiment

Was he defo QLR in 1982?

4. Danny_Dravot

Danny_Dravot LE

poss exchange post to 5 AB or 3 Cdo? is that poss?

5. medman82

medman82

Is your mate still serving ? if he's now a civvy he might have been walting it up.....but got caught out.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My OC in Baor 1984 was on Corproate with 5 Inf Bde as a combat advisor, he wore his SAM so some other regiments were represented but the major units are well known! The SAM assocaition are supposed to have a list of all those awarded.
    I saw a former member of my regt who wore an SAM at the Op Banner servicee in september and I didnt ask as I didnt want to embarras him in front of his family but I think the rosette was aa give away!

7. john50uk

john50uk

I take it you mean 1 QOHLDRS. QOH were The Queens Own Hussars, who as a tank regiment in BAOR in 1982 would not have been sent anywhere near the Falklands! Our tanks would have bogged before we even got off the beach!!

8. Grumpole

Grumpole Clanker

I know a former 4 QLR soldier who was there but he was with the Welsh Guards at the time. , having been blown of teh Sir Galahad.

He was subsequently blown up again in Iraq (twice) when he served as IR and is one of those not entitled to full compensation. Nice.

9. Suddick

Suddick War Hero

Was Taff (Original heh!) not also shot in Belfast and stabbed in the arrse in Basra

10. bluntslane

bluntslane LE

Is he also known as "Lucky Bob"?

11. postman_twit

postman_twit LE

Or Jonah. Or Figure 11?

P-T

12. DrStealth

DrStealth LE

not from wigan is he?

theres a well known local bullshitter here whos ex-QLR, was kicked out of the local legion for stating he was 'them' and served on corporate.

13. Grumpole

Grumpole Clanker

No, and I know at least one mucker of his from the same regiment, so he checked out

BTW - great avatar/graphics...

14. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

The Bn didn´t go. He could have gone down as an IR though, as mentioned.

IIRC, 5 Inf Bde (as it became) ended up being an ad hoc formation, with a few bods thrown in as they deployed. Obviously we know 2 and 3 PARA were stripped out and attached to 3 Cdo, and the SG and WG attached to fil their places. I think a few of the Staff slots were vacated by attachements to 3 Cdo. It is entirely possible he filled a Staff role or similar to fill such slots.

Ask him about his time there, or check through the SAMA.

If he is a walt he needs sorting, obviously.

15. jaybee2786

jaybee2786 LE

Queen's Own Highlanders took over the O,P'S and sangers from the royal marines round STANLEY, Trigger happy cnuts so they were,As we where forward of them we much preferred the marines to them.