Ouch - the forces pensions society confirm your pension is frozen and lost forever

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by agoodgrouping, Mar 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. agoodgrouping

agoodgrouping War Hero

I posed this to the Forces Pensions Society on a different ARRSE link

http://www.arrse.co.uk/armed-forces-pension-scheme/45654-living-overseas-getting-yr-pension-3.html

Like many, I have already reached the max annual rate for my rank so I cannot be get any more annual increments.

There are lots of others in this situation - all those who remain in a rank for 9 years + (eg passed over Majors & Lt Cols)

Consequently it appears from the FPS that our notional pension increases will be lost this year, next year and we will never recoup this freeze - read below.

As this freeze occurs at the stage when the % uplift most important (2% uplift of as 16 year Cpl pension is rather less than a Lt Col with 9+ years sen). It will cost those affected many thousands over the rest of their life, and that of their dependants.

FROM MY LINK

I understand that those who are in receipt of a Service Pension will have their increase applied at the CPI rather than RPI.

Two questions:

a. Will retired SP receive ANY increase in pensions this year & next if there is a freeze on Armed Forces pay in 2011 & 2012 ?

b. Will those still serving see any uplift of their pensions due to be drawn after retirement if there is a pay freeze in 2011 and 2012 ? For example, 2010 pension rates for a WO1 is 13590 & a tax free lump sum of three times that. If he was due to retire in late 2012 will the current rates still apply or will they be uplifted iaw CPI in 2011 & 2012 ?

This could be a very expensive loss for those approaching the end of long careers when annual increases are more significant on % terms.