Origins of slinging

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by on_the_wallop, Sep 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. on_the_wallop

on_the_wallop Swinger

I have heard Line Regiments called Hats, and others called Crap Hats. What is the origin of these words, as assume they come from Para Reg due to them slinging on others. Funny though. Not a wah :D
  2. scarletto

scarletto LE

ummm something to do with headdress, might be a small clue
  3. smudge67

smudge67

bore off
  4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Being a kind soul & you not being able to use the internet I'll help:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/crap-hat
  5. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

in the '80s the peaked DPM field caps were worn by Para recruits before they won their Red Berets. These were known as "crap hats" (although actually they were quite a good field cap!)

[​IMG]

By extension, Paras referred to anyone who hadn't passed as a para as a "crap hat" even though hardly anyone in the rest of the army ever wore them.
    "hat" is just short for "crap hat"

I'm sure some old Para can correct me if the term dates back much further than this.
  6. scarletto

scarletto LE

8O i must admit i thought they were crap!
  7. midnight

midnight LE

Ditto..........they were really crap! :evil:
  8. pupgreen

pupgreen LE

i loved my combat cap.. used to think i looked like an ss panzer soldier in it,, with the black coveralls..walting was fun back in the 70s....
  9. scarletto

scarletto LE

Ahh so thats why we were in the Hitler Youth back then, happy days, but still they were crap hats!
  10. EX_STAB

EX_STAB LE

I used to wear mine under my steel helmet - the peak kept the rain off my specs!
  11. on_the_wallop

on_the_wallop Swinger

All that effort to post 'bore off' So you don't know either eh? Maybe we'll learn together mate.