origin of the term leg

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by haggler, Apr 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. haggler

haggler War Hero

we often hear of a tie being split into two legs but where does this come from?

indeed wher does the term tie come from?

so smartarses you must have all said we will beat them in the second leg but why ?

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It's a stage of a competition, probably from sailing:

leg (n.) [​IMG]late 13c., from a Scandinavian source akin to O.N. leggr "leg, bone of the arm or leg," from P.Gmc. *lagjaz, with no certain ulterior connections, perhaps from a PIE root meaning "to bend" [Buck]. Cf. Ger. Bein "leg," in O.H.G. "bone, leg." Replaced O.E. shank. Of furniture supports from 1670s.

The meaning "a part or stage of a journey or race" (1920) is from earlier sailing sense of "a run made on a single tack" (1867), which was usually qualified as long leg, short leg, etc.

Slang phrase shake a leg "dance" is attested from 1881. To be on (one's) last legs "at the end of one's life" is from 1590s.

tie (n.) [​IMG]"that with which anything is tied," O.E. teag, from P.Gmc. *taugo (cf. O.N. taug "tie," tygill "string"), from PIE *deuk- "to pull, to lead" (cf. O.E. teon "to draw, pull, drag;" see duke (n.)). Figurative sense is recorded from 1550s.

Meaning "equality between competitors" is first found 1670s, from notion of a connecting link (tie-breaker is recorded from 1961).

Sense of "necktie, cravat" first recorded 1761. The railway sense of "transverse sleeper" is from 1857, Amer.Eng.

Isn't the internet brill?

3. PrinceAlbert

PrinceAlbert

Well, that answers "who will win the dullest thread award 2012"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Biscuits_AB

Biscuits_AB

Don't be too quick to judge. I'd say that any of the "I'm joining the....." and several of the "Does anybody know this man and are his medals genuine?" threads are winning just now. But that's probably more to do with frequency than substance. Oh, and let's not forget any post by that speccy stab **** MSR or by Jim "Look at what I've blogged, aren't I clever, please say 'yes' and I'm in a 'sandy place'!" bellend. They usually send me straight into the "I love guns and ammo" style threads in search of excitement. It's early days though.

5. Brotherton Lad

I got the word 'pie' into the second post. Must be worth a point or two, shurely?

6. Just think how dull it will be if this thread gets deleted. We then get the 'why was my thread deleted' thread, followed by several more as that one is also deleted.

7. CaptainPlume

CaptainPlume LE

It's American for "Hat", isn't it?

8. Brotherton Lad

9. Taffnp

Taffnp LE

If you fail to even get into the final, then does that that mean you have not got a leg to stand on ?

10. CaptainPlume

CaptainPlume LE

Be a problem in an arrse kicking contest.

11. Brotherton Lad

12. tuffy52

tuffy52 LE

Legless thread TBH.....

13. sandmanfez

sandmanfez LE

I dont know (nor care) but I do know what a real womans ladyparts look and taste like.
    Do I win?

14. CaptainPlume

CaptainPlume LE

Did you get your leg over?

15. Brotherton Lad

Pull the other one.