Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

News story: Defenders of Camp Bastion recognised in Operational Honours List

Right lads medical kit check,

British Army

Brufen
TubiGrip
Tourniquet
HemClot
Chest Seal
First Field Dressings
Laryngoscope
Battlefield Aspirator
Givens Set
Neck Brace
Morphine
etc......

SRDG

Two aspirin
Calpol
Suncream
Mr Men plasters
Savlon (in case you get a poorly knee)
Stick to bite on,
Lolly for being a good likkle solja there there

You have to love the RAF PR machine though.

You have a unit whose sole reason for being in theatre is to make sure that the airframes are kept safe on the ground, and the security of the base intact.

Once the fenceline is breached and the aircraft are burning they then go to sort out the mess that they were supposed to prevent, and no doubt get the citations in before the smoke from the burning hulks they were there to protect has had a chance to get blown away on the wind.

Just watched a antique programme, there is a RAF antique shop, what do they do stock the shelves and leave it for a hundred years before they can sell it?

Just notice another gem:

"they weren’t as familiar with the terrain as they would have liked"

Flat, I would suggest as it's a 'kin airfield!

I've cut down the guff and just left the important bits:

"When 15 armed insurgents launched a night-time attack on Camp Bastion in September last year the RAF Regiment’s Sergeant Roy Geddes and Corporal Kurt Lee had no idea.
Sergeant Geddes, the resident field squadron Quick Reaction Force (QRF) commander, said:

It was utter chaos, we didn’t know what was happening, or what to expect. Meanwhile it was a rude awakening for Corporal Lee who was in bed trying to get some much needed rest:

No one knew what was going on. It was just get a vehicle and get as many guys in it as I could find and get over to the airfield. By now they weren’t as familiar with the terrain as they would have liked, adding to the hazard of the journey.
As Sergeant Geddes and his unit closed in with no insurgents being found. Corporal Lee discovered that what had been thought in the gloom to be the wall and ended up dazed and disorientated".

I heard from one of the Int guys that the SASRAF were responsible for most of the aircraft and structural damage due to blatant brassing up of the area. Well done

I heard from one of the Int guys that the SASRAF were responsible for most of the aircraft and structural damage due to blatant brassing up of the area. Well done

Does that mean they can be claimed as aircraft kills? Well if its good enough for Jags and Phantoms......

How can you big up an attack by 15 enemy against a location housing several thousand of our lot plus Apache, fast air etc and pretend that stopping the attack is some heroic act?

How can you big up an attack by 15 enemy against a location housing several thousand of our lot plus Apache, fast air etc and pretend that stopping the attack is some heroic act?

Because, and read it slowly, it's the R A F Regiment. It's the biggest thing to happen and that they can claim an involvement with for feckin decades. Of course they are going to milk it.

Apart from that, well done to the two guys.

It was the Cobras that did all the brassig up. Every now and then you'd think it was all over and there would be a nice meaty "riiiiipppppp" with a decent tracer fireworks display and hey preso, there goes another few hundred rounds....

Just watched a antique programme, there is a RAF antique shop, what do they do stock the shelves and leave it for a hundred years before they can sell it?

If so, they too must have a time machine - as the whole terylene bunch of them have "only" been going for 95 years.

I suppose that when you're direct in line of responsibility for having gone weapons free and in the process turned 200 million dollars worth of planes into the worlds most expensive backstop, then throwing round a few citations and medals is the best way out of a hole!

Of course, the reason the aircraft were burning in the first place was due to an absence of alert tower guards, the responsibility for which lies firmly and squarely at the feet of the British Army.

That quite simply can't be true. The RAF were releasing press stories at the rate of roughly six an hour telling the whole world how the SRDG were responsible for the security of Bastion. As well as 97% of the BR body armour in theatre.