New Hand Gun For UK Forces

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. drain_sniffer

drain_sniffer LE

3. SausageDog

SausageDog LE

Some smarmy Austrian gun salesman has obviously been schmoozing the M.o.D procurement division with his Glockenspiel!

I'll get me coat...
  4. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann LE

From the article.

An £8.5m contract has been awarded to Glock after a tendering contest and trials stretching over two years. No British company competed; even the new pistol's holster is made abroad, in Italy.
  5. dingerr

dingerr LE

Weren't the Sigs a UOR?

Looks like the Glock is the official replacement for the Browning.

What did the Browning replace?
    LAIT likes this.
  6. brettarider

brettarider LE

Webleys I think?
    RCT(V) likes this.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This is a Wah, surely? They replaced the Mess Webley, the .38" revolver - 9mm Brownings first used, I think, in 1944?
  8. syledis

syledis

duelling pistols?
    matchstick likes this.
  9. drain_sniffer

drain_sniffer LE

LAIT likes this.
  10. tich23

tich23 Old-Salt

Nice spin with little mention of the Sig's input to recent ops. How many people actually carry Browning now or in the last three years? Or that Sig can sit 'made ready' in the holster and could probably be 'fired in one second of drawing from holster'.

Re British companies - are there any who make pistols. Re holsters, I wonder if nobody bothered because they either knew they wouldn't get it (cheapest bidder wins) or else couldn't be bothered to respond to an overly complicated tender document.
  11. Tartan_Terrier

Tartan_Terrier LE

12. redshift

redshift LE

Why would you want to, from a business perspective? You need a half-decent civilian/ export market, you guys just don't have it for the more mainstream items. And a start-up now would be competing against all the established players.

The super-niche market (AI, H&H etc.,) is where the current Brit firearms mfrs strengths will be...
    Travelgall and DavidBOC like this.
  13. SausageDog

SausageDog LE

14. dingerr

dingerr LE

Not at all, I posted it then looked it up.

I was surprised to find the Webley had been in service 1887-1963 with the Browning in service from the second WW to present.
    2 handguns covering 3 centuries is quite impressive.
  15. Pigshyt_Freeman

Pigshyt_Freeman LE

There was a sodding great big thread on this two or three months ago. Various people who seemed to know what they were talking about stated that (a) the SIGs have already taken a right hammering and are showing their age, and (b) that by law, when the reason for a UOR expires, it's disposed of and a full procurement process carried out. Which, claimed someone who appeared to have knowledge of at least some aspects of the trials, the Glock won handily.