Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

National Union of Students says 'Scrap the Prison Industrial Complex'

jim30

LE
The latest outburst of the NUS shows once more how the lunatics are taking over the asylum there.

At the 'NUS Black Students' (open to anyone who identifies themselves as 'black' rather than just people from an ethnic minority), they voted to scrap prisons and defeat the Prison Industrial Complex (whatever the hell that is?)

NUS Black Student Conference 2016 Votes on… Abolishing Prisons

Students call for prisons to be banned

I'm open to a conversation about scrapping short sentences and focusing more on community justice (particularly when it involves working in the car tyre fitting industry ;-)) but I'm also depressed that this bunch of utter lunatics will in all likelihood be the Labour Front Bench in 15-20 years time...

The latest outburst of the NUS shows once more how the lunatics are taking over the asylum there.

At the 'NUS Black Students' (open to anyone who identifies themselves as 'black' rather than just people from an ethnic minority), they voted to scrap prisons and defeat the Prison Industrial Complex (whatever the hell that is?)

I'm open to a conversation about scrapping short sentences and focusing more on community justice (particularly when it involves working in the car tyre fitting industry ;-)) but I'm also depressed that this bunch of utter lunatics will in all likelihood be the Labour Front Bench in 15-20 years time...

Possibly not, a number of Student Unions have recently disaffiliated from the NUS. Not just due to the announcements and campaigns but most of the leadership have not been students for about five years. Did you know the unelected CEO of the NUS earns a salary of £100 k pa? Most members of the NUS didn't.

Possibly not, a number of Student Unions have recently disaffiliated from the NUS. Not just due to the announcements and campaigns but most of the leadership have not been students for about five years. Did you know the unelected CEO of the NUS earns a salary of £100 k pa? Most members of the NUS didn't.

Most people in the real world don't either.

The NUS make themselves more irrelevant by the year. They have been taken over by trots etc,

Unfortunately this lot aren't Trots, at least with Trots you had a grounded political ideology to base your policies on. This bunch wouldn't know a logical political standpoint if smacked them in the chops.

Last edited:
It is good to see they are continuing down the road that is seeing students voting to remove their affiliation with the NUS. Amusingly whilst they screech about how democracy has failed because the Conservatives won the election, their own voting rules are as far away from democratic as you can get.

The NUS is in its death throws. 18% voter turnouts leads to fringe interest groups gaining traction. It'll implode in a year or two, and silly cùnt in charge at the moment is going to get hoofed.

Maybe they want to bring back Stocks instead?

Last edited:
I'm guessing most NUS members think of prison as being like the US system if they describe it an 'industrial complex'. Other than that, the only similarity is that it takes naughty people in one end and then extrudes them at the other, but I fear that little gets altered along the way.

The Prison Service statement of purpose talks about holding those committed by the courts and helping them lead useful and law-abiding lives, but that always was an optimistic view of humanity. So many re-offend that it is pretty obvious that prison only has a limited rehabilitation role. Taking criminals out of circulation might not be politically acceptable, but it is certainly true that a mugger in prison is not assaulting old ladies for their pension.

Is there an alternative? Yup. I'd go for forced labour schemes like the US Southern States' chain gangs. They'd have to be properly supervised and a strict 'no work, no perks' imposed, but picking litter from motorways and cleaning beaches could be done for free. Of course, it is too close to slave labour to ever be acceptable to politicians or NUS officials.

An alternative is to have sentenced criminals working in universities, under the supervision of the NUS. Plenty of mundane work to do there and the NUS appear eager to rehabilitate bad people so should have no problem with one-to-one sessions with 'Killer' McTavish the Romford Rapist.

Is there an alternative? Yup. I'd go for forced labour schemes like the US Southern States' chain gangs. They'd have to be properly supervised and a strict 'no work, no perks' imposed, but picking litter from motorways and cleaning beaches could be done for free. Of course, it is too close to slave labour to ever be acceptable to politicians or NUS officials.

I actually know a sheriff's deputy in Mississippi whose job is to supervise prisoners clearing litter from the highways. They're actually not forced labour - the deal is that you get one day's remission of sentence for one day's work, so if you graft every day (and it is graft - try clearing litter in 40 degrees + ) you can get your sentence halved. Nor are they in chains anymore. Prisoners convicted of felony offences aren't allowed on the gangs, only misdemeanours, and they know that if they do a runner, it's back to jail to serve the full sentence, no remission.

Meh, it's not the same without the chains. You'll be telling me they don't sing doleful but surprisingly melodious songs either...

As for earning remission, that's a good idea. Unfortunately we already hand remission out for free in this country, so that would have to stop and that would never be acceptable.

Meh, it's not the same without the chains. You'll be telling me they don't sing doleful but surprisingly melodious songs either...

Nah, he doesn't sit on horseback, cradling a Winchester 30.06 either. He parks his fat arse in a BFO SUV with the aircon on max and a can of full fat coke. The convicts' water ladel doesn't have holes in the bottom either.

Last edited:
I don't know, the young seem to have lost their way but there are solutions, firstly from the age of five shove em back up chimneys, we knew where they were and they earned a few bob. Re-establish the Borstal system where they can be kicked all over the place by ex squaddies with the governments blessing, another advantage to this system is they will experience sex for the first time, it might not the way they want to lose their virginity but hey, you can't have everything. I am open to other ideas, like Strangeways becoming a "safe place."