Mills Bomb No36M Mk1

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jagman, Apr 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jagman

jagman LE

Just as a matter of curiosity......
    If some one was to have an inert (bangy stuff removed) Mills Bomb No36M Mk1 what would its value be to a collector?
    I have been told that these things do change hands for money :? and I was wondering what sort of figure is usual.
    I've googled but nothing springs into view value wise

Any opinions would be valued :lol:
  2. Awol

Awol LE

Rusty ones, about a tenner.

The question is, would you risk your arms and eyes for a tenner?
  3. jagman

jagman LE

Ah cheers :lol: not rusty and in fairly good shape. It being given away and was just making sure it was'nt chucking cash away in significant sums :lol: This one of is sentimental value mainly, hence being given to some-one rather than sold
  4. W.Anchor

W.Anchor War Hero

Don't forget to unscrew the baseplate and make sure there is not a fuse still inside, also there is a brass filling nut on it's side it is always worth while opening that up to make sure that it is empty. This sounds daft but live ones have been found knocking around.
  5. jagman

jagman LE

Both checked, but the advice is appreciated.
  6. banjotrooper

banjotrooper

I found about 6, whils't walking around Plug street wood, just outside Ypres 2 weeks ago. All rusted up and still laying where they fell in WW1. Some with pins in, some with no pins. Look and leave is the motto here, but cleaned up innert ones go for about £30.00 to the tourists and about a tenner to those in the know!
  7. Henry_Tombs

Henry_Tombs LE

Ebay price a couple of years ago was about £30~£35 as already mentioned, as a side note the "M" in the designation stands for Mesopotania when the need for a water proof grenade was required.

Many years ago in Norway a young Henry Tombs threw a No 36 M grenade in training, it went off with a loud plop (I could fart louder!) when the young rupert went out to have a look at what was left after 30 minutes he came back with it in his hand, somehow it had escaped being filled at Radway Green and was empty, the detonator though had managed to rip it apart.
    I did ask said rupert if I could keep it but being only an 18 year old gunner he told me to fcuk off as it was going back to be checked against the lot number etc.
  8. I lost count of the amount of No 36 (& No 5 & No 23) grenades I was tasked to on my last tiour with 11 EOD Regt RLC. Certainly over a hundred. Many were simply found when an old and bold ex soldier ceased to be, and were usually inert, but not always.

One guy bought one for £10 at a car boot sale. When he got it home he unscrewed the base plug to find a raggedy burnt out bit of safety fuse sticking out of the det channel - presumably attached to the det. I say "presumably", because it wouldn't come out and the filling plug was stuck fast. So that's 1 x grenade destroyed by me and £10 lost by the punter. But, as you say, your arms and legs are worth a whole lot more than £10.
  9. The Markers Mark can change the value, Mills bombs usually go for between £35 - £100.

Go on to ebay type in grenade.

If you PM me all the marks/stamps on the grenade I should be able to give you some more info.

Have a look here as well http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/Markings.htm
  10. Henry_Tombs

Henry_Tombs LE

11. The Grenade Recognition site by D Lynn in the link above is a very good resource.
  12. jagman

jagman LE

Markings are
    No 36M Mk1
    Z

and

SD
    R and 4.2

One of several recovered by a late friend in the 1960's from a flooded slate quarry in Wales by a late friend who used to dive for them.
    The friend I'm giving it too used to dive with him but never kept one for himself, hence the sentimental value :lol:
    As this particular grenade has much more significance to this friend I think it only fair he has it, but I would like to replace it with one for myself. So the concern with value is mostly about what its going to cost me to replace it as I would'nt dream of letting my mate pay for it :lol:
  13. diplomat

diplomat War Hero

I seem to remember from my dim and distant past that the M in the Grenade Hand No36M stood or Mesapatomia. Something to do with one of the reasons for redesign of the original Mills Bomb was to improve efficiency and stability during Middle East operations 9in the 30s.

Can anyone enlighten me?
  14. Yes, it was suitable for use in humid/tropical conditions. This would have been indicated by the base plug and the filled store markings of red crosses around the top. I'm sure it was introduced earlier than the 30's.

There was also a No 23M.
  15. 1R.Hamps

1R.Hamps Clanker

An AT,who will remain nameless dropped two inert examples to the small arms workshop 23 Base Wksps for chrome plating.
    An excellent job was done on said grenades but the bangy fellow never returned to claim them.
    As the main Rag and Oil representative in location I laid claim and have them on the window sill of my main guest bedroom.
    Tonight I will check their markings if legible,for sale, never.