1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Merged Egypt threads

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jan 26, 2011.

1. KGB_resident

KGB_resident Clanker

Unprecedented anti-government protests rock Egypt - Yahoo! News

Egypt police, protesters clash for second day - Yahoo! News

Egypt protesters clash for 2nd day with police - Yahoo! News

It looks that pro-American regime in Egypt has serious problem.
  2. twothreeuptwothreedown

twothreeuptwothreedown Clanker MiA (Donor)

3. Nehustan

Nehustan Clanker Supporter - GCM

When I was there all the choppers I eyeballed over Cairo were Russian. I was speaking to a friend in Cairo last night and mentioned to him that during all the time I was there I met no-one who voted for Mubarak; yet he wins with 95%, funny that.
  4. bluntslane

bluntslane Clanker

Is this the start of the unravelling of a secular Middle East or will it be stamped flat?
  5. Nehustan

When was the middle east secular...missed that one...

(edited to add that Egypt is Africa...but I got your point...)
  6. IndianaDel

IndianaDel Clanker Supporter - GCM

I think it is fair to say that the were, are and will continue to be Pro-themselves first and last.
    I give you the unofficial Egyptian National Anthem
    YouTube - italian job theme with lyrics
  7. OldAdam

OldAdam Clanker Supporter - GCM

Hope it's not so but, if the pattern continues -Algeria next, followed by Morocco; Libya will blow along with the prevailing breeze - then pretty soon Europe will be faced by a whole arc of failing states with islamist fundamentalists gaining control. I wonder how keen the EU will be to have Turkey as a member then? The Greeks had better build their wall a bit higher and 'Club Med' will need to invest in a whole shed-load of inshore patrol craft...
  8. pp0470

pp0470

Yemenis are also getting vocal about their 'beloved' President of 30yrs.

I don't blame them - in the same situation I think I'd be revolting.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at Friday prayers this week - pop corn at the ready for the wkend.
  9. uncle_vanya

uncle_vanya Clanker

I see that the 'Daily Wail' has reported that Mubarak Junior has turned up at Heathrow with over 100 pieces of luggage and his family. One wonders how much gold and Dollar Reserves have been included in this. If true, and the Foreign Office is not commenting, neither has the Egyptian Embassy in London. It's curious when families of alleged tyrants are on the run, many of them turn up on Blighty's busted shores.

No doubt when it comes the time for Uncle Bob Mugabwe to shuffle off this mortal coil, his Mrs, along with some of the high ranking ZaNU-Pf thugs will seek asylum on our shores.... and of course will be welcomed with open arms by certain 'friends' of a Communistic background....
  10. offhand

offhand Clanker MiA (Donor)

Hopefully there will be an independant Diver friendly state of Sharm/Hugarda!!
  11. Steven

Steven Clanker

I think it would be more sinister if you had never met anyone who voted against him TBH.
  12. Nehustan

Fair observation.
  13. Taz_786

Taz_786 Clanker

So the worm has finally turned....and not before time. Funny how all those doyens of freedom and democracy who were on their soapboxes 18 months ago during the Iran protests seem to have gone rather quiet....lots of anxious hands being wrung in Washington and Tel Aviv? Good stuff - more power to the protestors.

Why should it be a choice between tyranny or fundamentalism? For decades Western govts have propped up these dictatorships in the mistaken belief that they provide "stability" when actually these tyrannies are one of the root causes of radicalism in the Middle East.

It's no coincidence the worst offenders, Egypt and Saudi, produced the likes of OBL and Al-Zwahiri. Indeed there's famous film footage of Al-Zwahiri as a young medical student amongst those arrested and brutalised after Sadat's assassination in 1979.

Democratic reform in the Middle East would do far more to dampen extremism than a zillion drone strikes in Waziristan or wherever so it's in the West's, and the wider world's, own interests that these regimes disappear or at least fundamentally reform so they greater reflect the aspirations of their people.
  14. OldAdam

OldAdam Clanker Supporter - GCM

I'm simply pointing out that when all the dominoes fall flat, the sh*t will have a shorter distance to fly in our direction. I'm not condoning the behaviour of the current govts in those states and democratic reform is all very well in principle - gives some people a nice warm, fuzzy feeling to talk about it - but it never lasts long against the crazies.
  15. TwentyBandH

TwentyBandH Clanker

Never happen you knob. islam doesn't do democracy.