McGuiness calls for an end to constitutional link between UK and NI

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GeoffreyBarrack, May 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. GeoffreyBarrack

GeoffreyBarrack Old-Salt

2. eodmatt

eodmatt LE

At the end of the day, it will be for the electorate to decide.

3. GeoffreyBarrack

GeoffreyBarrack Old-Salt

Indeed it will, I recall John Major more or less making that clear in 93/94.

4. cokecan

cokecan War Hero

i'm fairly sure its been HMG's policy policy since we abolished Stormont in what, 1972?

5. GeoffreyBarrack

GeoffreyBarrack Old-Salt

That may very well have been the case, but it was the first time that I can remember, a conservative Prime Minsiter, hinting at the possibility of a United Ireland.

6. Mighty_Blighty

Mighty_Blighty LE

They (McG and Co) won't ask the question, because they will not like the answer.

MB

• Like Like x 1
  7. CAARPS

CAARPS LE

It's only a matter of time, it's all about the breeding rate ^~

8. AFA06

AFA06 LE

You won't find any argument here. Spent nearly 4 years in that shit hole. It is a wet, depressing place full of complete ********* (one both sides) - set them free and see just how much we notice them when they are gone.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cairngorm

Cairngorm Old-Salt

I don't think that the Republic either want or could afford to take on the populace of Northern Ireland.

• Like Like x 3
  10. They'll ask alright, annually, until they get the answer they want. I'd say circa twenty years.

11. They don't & they can't. But they're kinda constitutionally obligated.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cairngorm

Cairngorm Old-Salt

They are up to their eyeballs in debt and could not sustain us.

• Like Like x 1
  13. No, I know, but they don't really have a choice.

14. GeoffreyBarrack

GeoffreyBarrack Old-Salt

Articles 2 and 3 of the Irish Constitution, the territorial claim over the six counties, were amended by referendum in 1998 as part of the Good Friday Agreement. The Republic no longer has any constitutional designs on the north, aspirational maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You just hit the nail on the head I feel. Try this...

"Martin McGuinness stands at Free Derry Corner stark naked on one leg doing the propeller thing with his willie".

That would get a headline around the world I am sure. Which has been sadly lacking in the McGuinness scrap book since the glory days of being 'denied the oxygen of publicity' and being the pin-up boy of slack witted students and people who believe the moon landings are fake. He is now in the Dail, an assembly of Welsh charcoal burners I believe? Not exactly front and centre with the worlds media?

McGuinness and his chums are becoming a side-show as the world moves on. And that must hurt. So let us give them space to grow old, whither and die in peace. By ignoring their bollocks statements?

• Like Like x 3