Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Manchester United FC

I suspect a lot of the blame must lie with the players themselves, perhaps they aren't ready to settle for a manager that isn't Fergie.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

Interesting that the media is reporting that several players (not RVP though) are indicating that they don't want Van Gaal. I thought the manager was supposed to pick the players, not the other way round.

Last edited:
Interesting that the media is reporting that several players (not RVP though) are indicating that they don't want Van Gaal. I thought the manager was supposed to pick the players, not the other way round.

If he does indeed get the job (which i hope he doesn't), i hope that someone's thought of a plan about who to buy, and started negotiations as he won't join the club until after the Netherlands are out of the World Cup.

Plus by all accounts RVP and Van Gaal are said to be reasonably pally.

I suspect the players have been behind removing managers very often in recent years for various clubs. Managers can work as hard as they like, but if the prima Donna Nancy boys decide they don't like him, bye bye manager.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

I suspect David Moyes will be able to enjoy a bit of downtime now with a hefty pay off in his bank acct. I believe Mr Gobshite at Newcastle Utd will be looking for a new job in summer so who knows.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

We'll, I'd like to see Ottmar the ex Bayern Munich manager who was pushed aside for Pep. I'm sure Ottmar will do the job for a few years and then after five years we could if all is well and Klopp is still doing well with Dortmund go for Klopp. My long term plan for Utd dominance driven by Ze Germans!
We could even get sponsorship by Mercedes and get rid of Chevrolet for Gawds sake.

We'll, I'd like to see Ottmar the ex Bayern Munich manager who was pushed aside for Pep.

You mean Jupp Heynckes? He's 68 and has said 'I assure you I have no intention of coaching again. I had a worthy ending'. I'm not sure he's the man to hope for as a long term managerial appointment...

If you mean Ottmar Hitzfeld (who left Bayern Munich 6 years ago from memory), he's 65 and has announced he's retiring from coaching after the World Cup.

Apparently Ryan Giggs is Ferguson's choice to take over the reins on a permanent basis. Thats him fucked then..

Apparently Ryan Giggs is Ferguson's choice to take over the reins on a permanent basis. Thats him fucked then..
)

Sounds like a great idea. Appoint a manager that hasn't even previously managed a Pub League side. What could go wrong?

I'm not sure about appointing Van Gaal either. He's in his 60s and has had a chequered managerial career to say the least.

Last edited:

FFS, there are a section of the fans who believe Giggs is the answer. Things went Pete Tong under Moyes, who had some managerial experience, I don't care how many coaching badges he has Giggs is not the answer at this moment in time.

If this does become reality you can rearrange the following for next season's results - "happen, to, disaster, a, waiting".

It seems from press reports that Van Gaal is a done deal. So discussion of Giggs's performance as an interim manager may be somewhat academic. However, having said that, if he is able to inspire decent attacking football why should he not be considered? They seem to have enjoyed themselves with a 4-4-2 run out today against Norwich. Alright, I accept that Norwich are possibly the worst team in the premier league on current form, and a certainty to go down, but you've got to start somewhere, and that's just the sort of run out that a decent team lacking confidence might need.

I don't really know how I feel about Giggs. He is a loyal one club man, but I don't like his club. He never committed to Wales the way that he should have done (although I accept that Fergie had a lot to do with that - even so Giggs let himself be pushed around by his club, i.e. Fergie). His private life may have been complicated, but that is nothing to do with me.

On balance. I would like to see Giggs as a person do well. I admire his loyalty to his club (if not to his wife), and I admire his instinct to promote attacking football. Its just a shame that while wanting to see the individual succeed, I hope that his club does not.

Mind you, I reckon that when Van Gaal comes in he'll ruffle some feathers and that there may well be a relatively significant period of turbulence for Manchester United ahead. We shall see.

Fergie should have had Giggs, Scholes and Neville learning the ropes years ago
Then he could have handed over to them knowing the club was in safe hands.
I'm thinking of the Liverpool model of the 70's and 80's.
Then Fergie for me really would have built a dynasty.