1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Major Eric Joyce MP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trotsky, May 24, 2009.

1. Trotsky

Trotsky Clanker

2. nigegilb

nigegilb Clanker

Erm, Conservative gain??
  3. maguire

maguire Clanker Book Reviewer

how do you forget if you own a house or not? I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I'd paid out forty-odd grand in tax on it as well.

cnut.
  4. DeltaDog

DeltaDog Clanker

A million in expenses... That's how many families entire tax bill over the same period?

And MPs still don't understand why they're unpopular?
  5. Victorian_Major

Victorian_Major Clanker MiA (Donor)

What a shame, how sad, never mind.

Didn't he quit the Army describing it as out-of-touch and elitist?

Wanker.
  6. jagman

jagman Clanker

Labour
    Thieving cnut regardless of party.
    Is it just me or are we seeing much talk but no action about dealing with these thieving cnuts in Parliament?
  7. stacker1

stacker1 Clanker MiA (Donor)

Be careful what you lot say, you might drive him to suicide.
  8. loopallu

loopallu Clanker

Surely this must be fraud , a visit to the cells must be in order
  9. jagman

jagman Clanker

I would consider it a service to the public.
    Go on Eric Joyce, save the tax payer from unwillingly paying you a pension. Top yourself you grubby little thief.
    Be sure to go wild with a machete in one of the smoking ban excempt House of Commons bars before you finish yourself off.

Will that do?

Not is you are an MP. Its only us mere mortals that must comply with that pesky thing called the law. The rules for them are different, I wonder how that came to be?
  10. dropshortjock

dropshortjock Clanker

MAJOR ERIC JOYCE, who publicly condemned the Army leadership as a clique of white, out-of-touch elitists, has been ordered to resign his commission or be sacked.

The outspoken Black Watch major hopes to stand as a Labour candidate in elections for the Scottish Parliament and critics privately regard his attack on the "officer class" as an exercise in self-promotion.

Major Joyce was told at a meeting with his commanding officer in Aldershot that he would automatically be discharged if he did not resign his commission within two months. Unbowed, he reiterated afterwards he intends to take his case for freedom of speech within the Army to the European Court of Human Rights.

Major Joyce breached Queen's Regulations by writing a pamphlet for the Labour- affiliated Fabian Society and has appeared before the Army Board, accused of speaking about the Army without its permission. In the pamphlet he alleged the Army was racist, snobbish and outdated.

Major Joyce rose through the ranks in the Black Watch and is on the staff of the Adjutant General's Corps, the Army's administrative branch. He said yesterday it was "terribly important" soldiers should be allowed to speak freely and he condemned the "obsession" of the Army top brass with an "officer class". He said Queen's Regulations were "a convention" and not legally enforceable.

Major Joyce is being dealt with under a procedure allowing unsuitable personnel to leave the Army.

The Ministry of Defence said attitudes in the Army were evolving. "We are a meritocracy. If you are not good enough, you don't get on. We're not interested in a person's background, class or school."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/defiant-major-is-told-to-quit-1046912.html

A quick trawl, I'm sure there is better material out there.

Who's out of touch now? Hoefully the constituents of Falkirk will shunt this cnut back into obscurity. Even better if the SFO decide to have a little peek, too. :twisted:
  11. maguire

maguire Clanker Book Reviewer

ffs, jagman, stop being so bloody mealy-mouthed about the whole thing and say what you think. ;)
  12. jagman

jagman Clanker

Sorry :oops:
    I think politicians of all varieties are under-estimating the scale of public anger on this whole sordid mess. If they think they are going to ride this out without prosecutions and only the odd sacrificial lamb they are going to be proven wrong.
  13. nigegilb

nigegilb Clanker

I did mention to Hackle that Eric Joyce was not highly regarded on arrse, it seems he (Joyce), wasn't content with being the MP to claim the highest in expenses in 2005, now he has also achieved the first MP to claim a cool £1million in expenses.

Next time they say, I didn't become an MP to get rich, we can safely throw it back at their pudgy pink skins. Bollox. did they.

Did anyone see James Gray get a mention on, Have I Got News for You?

Hope Joyce gets the same treatment.
  14. Sixty

Sixty Clanker Moderator Book Reviewer Supporter - ADC

Probably because he branded all of the posters on here as racist, misogynistic, homophobes in a TV appearance. A statement that sweeping tends not to make him at all popular (or bright).

Although his general being a tool-ness may also play a part along with the money grabbing.
  15. nigegilb

nigegilb Clanker

I would never suggest he was "bright" :)