Maj.(rtd.) Geoffrey Langlands (92) - Teaching the Hindu Kush

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Aug 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE

2. Pling

Pling Old-Salt

Top bloke - I hope that I have his balls when/if I get to 92!
  3. rampant

rampant LE

Well it seems the old major is set to retire:

Major Geoffrey Langlands, 94, leaves his post in Pakistan's North-West Frontier Province after 60 years - Telegraph
  4. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

There is a charity near me who send teachers out ot places (generally 3rd world) to 'teach the teachers'... their ages (admttedly not as old as this gent) are generally quite old. 60 - 70s.
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I remember reading a piece in the Guardian about him a few years ago (see link) and was struck then by this bit;
    You can't fault his have-a-go spirit.

He has been kidnapped and taken tea with princesses: a British major's life teaching in Pakistan's Hindu Kush | World news | The Guardian
  6. rampant

rampant LE

That's the article that switched me on to this remarkable character way back in '09 (see first post). The more I have read about him the more impressed I am about his resilience, determination and integrity. He is the epitomy of the old fashioned English pedagogue.
  7. exile1

exile1 LE

Probably more deserving of an award in the QBH list that a lot put forward.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. smartascarrots

smartascarrots LE

He'd fail Tebbit's cricket test. Not that I imagine he'd give the slightest ****.