Joining the TA with the eventual goal of being an RAF flyboy

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by smithyP, May 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. smithyP

smithyP

A LEVELS – 17 to 19
    TA – 18 – 20, (volunteer for ops at 19 after A LEVELS)
    UNI AND UAS – 20 to 23/24
    APPLY TO RAF @ 23/24

This is my plan so far, the reason for the TA is that I have always been torn between being a soldier and a military pilot, this way I get to do both and if I absolutely loved army life then instead of a UAS I would go OTC unit and join as an infantry/engineering officer after Uni. If I didn’t like it that much then I’ve got soldiering out of my system and can carry on with the royal chair force route, or if I had a drastic change of heart and turned into a left liberal nutter waving my stop the war cereal packet placards and putting flowers in my hair I could even stay civvie!

Also I don’t fancy joining up as an officer fresh out of Uni with little/no life experience, and then ordering round a bunch of soldiers who have been doing the job for many years. I would much rather be able to say I’ve been at the “bottom of the pile” so to speak, I know what it’s like, I’m not some Rupert, you’re the priority here.

I’ve also considered going in as a direct entry, straight after my tour, but would much rather go to Uni first for a) a higher wage (during Officer training and the like) and b) less time in service before Flt Lt/Captain. It sounds shallow and money really isn’t the motivation to join the forces, but it is something to consider when there are two entry routes to a commission. Besides, what better time to indulge in a shitload of S.O.U.Ps (yes I’ve been reading arrsepedia too much lately) Plus I can dick around at Uni to a certain extent, and get involved in things (especially at UAS/OTC) such as adventure training leadership which will look spiffing to OASC or AOSB.

Realised this is going on for quite a while, so to anyone who has bothered to read this far, keep going, the end is near! I’m trying to answer all your comments/challenges before you make them, I think I’ve thought of a fair few already, but if anyone would like to give me some advice/raise any points then go ahead! Cheers.

One question also, would 2 years of service with 6 months on ops be an acceptable return of service to the TA considering my units investment in me? If it makes a difference I am aspiring to 4 PARA, C company (leeds, liverpool etc)

2. fltpilot

fltpilot LE

My, my are we not lucky that you want to join the TA whilst & Uni and then join the RAF afterwards?
    Have you not thought of an RAF scholarship whilst at Uni & get some flying training in at the same time?
    Surely that way you would be up on your peers when you went to Cranwell?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why bother with the TA? If you're set on a career flying for the Crabs, why not join the RAFR?

Alternatively, if you want to be a soldier and fly there's always Teeny Weeny Airways.

4. Mr_Snakey

Mr_Snakey LE

Cubs starts at 6 years so not long to go eh?

• Like Like x 1
  5. smithyP

smithyP

Fingerz, I've wanted to be both a soldier and a pilot, I would go AAC but, as is probably quite predictable I want to fly something incredibly fast and loud.

Mr Snakey you underestimate my age, I've actually got my first 3 cubs badges already!

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

What will you do when the Crabs tell you that you can't be one of the Winged Master Race?

7. h301593

h301593

Dont think you will get on any ops, unless its Tosca.

8. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Just an observation; have you had a good look at the current state of the training pipeline?

9. Buzz

Buzz

I wouldn't do either.

Flying needs a good quality degree in a "hard" subject as they call it, I'd focus on your academic studies and not **** about with the reserves or the OTC mouth breathers.

If you are really that clever that you are fast jet material you could get a bursary as well.

10. fltpilot

fltpilot LE

so who say's your make a pilot then?
    air cadets & gliding experience?
    or is this just a big dream you have??

11. Buzz

Buzz

Never mind all that, if he's not racking up a good maths or science degree then the closest he will come to a fast jet is a posed class photo with one in the background when he leaves Cranwell as a logistics officer.

I call wah.

12. smithyP

smithyP

Are engineering degrees included in the maths and science remit, seen as engineering includes a lot of maths?

13. Buzz

Buzz

There's a hell of a lot of "engineering" subjects, some of which no doubt are soft degrees in reality these days so I wouldn't have a clue which ones would make you sutiable as the driver.

You would have to actualy go and see the RAF recruiting bod in that mysterious shop in the high street, the one that has pictures of jets and tanks in the window.

He is easy to spot, he's the effeminate looking one in a girly blue uniform.

14. I heard that you can count its current trainees on the fingers of one hand. To the OP, good luck.

15. dinosaur_poo

dinosaur_poo LE

If you only want to be in the TA for 2 years, don't waste everyone's time and don't bother. Putting all that money into training you and putting you through courses when you have no intention of staying is not what they're looking for. 'Volunteering for ops' there is a bit more to it than that, the chances of being able to deploy having been in the TA for a year (especially as, by that time, Herrick will be drawing to a close anyway) are pretty slim, and that's if you're being optimistic.

Oh and by the time you've finished your training with the RAF and are a qualified pilot, your experience in the TA will have faded into insignificance. Your juniors will respect you because you are an RAF pilot, not because you did 2 years with the TA.