indulgence flights

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by desmond, Aug 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. desmond

desmond War Hero

anyone got a clue what they cost and what is the criteria is these days
  2. Filbert Fox

Filbert Fox LE

cost is dependant on where you want to go I believe.
  3. box-of-frogs

box-of-frogs LE

Was approx £65 each way to the Falklands last year for Mrs BoF. Not sure of criteria for flights barring, if you're married then your spouse can fly to the FI during your tour. They are obviously lowest priority on there but was never a drama.
  4. Ops_Offr

Ops_Offr Old-Salt

Thnk Cyprus was about £30 a couple of years ago. Just don't try to book around school holiday times.
  5. phibeck

phibeck Old-Salt

Who is eligible for indulgence flights? Is it just spouses? What about parents visiting serving children?
  6. gobenn

gobenn Swinger

1977 it was £18 to fly my missus out to Belize and back.Best holiday she ever had!
  7. Filbert Fox

Filbert Fox LE

soldiers can indulge, dependants can indulge, but you have to have the return flight fare for a civvie flight, just in case there are no seats on the flight home.
  8. desmond

desmond War Hero

what to that stinky place
  9. geordie342

geordie342

Slightly on a tangent. Does anyone know anything about the process and some possible contact numbers for indulging a car to RAF Akrotiri from Lyneham. I know this is possible but not sure of the paperwork process and have no contact details for Lyneham.

REgards
  10. Jorrocks

Jorrocks War Hero

In my experience, the RAF use the following criteria - all RAF work dodgers, their families and mates get priority over everyone else.
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

It's over 30 years ago, but in mmm 1978 (1979?) my Mum indulged to Gutersloh for a tenner.
  12. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Harsh, perhaps.

But not unfair, IMHO.
  13. The_IRON

The_IRON LE

I have known some families to turn up to check in and wait to see if any available seats and managed to get on last....but obviously a risk. Also seen passengers who had booked as indulgence to be left waiting at the airport because they lost there seats at the last minute, as FF says that passengers have to have funds to get them back or cater for any eventualities. I went to the FI 9 years ago and we were diverted to Montevideo and was put up in the Marriot hotel there for three days ( all Bennys and Indulence passengers had to fund the hotels themselves)

Your best bet is to look at RAF Brize Norton site

Enquiries about indulgence flights for service personnel and their families should also be directed to the Defence Passenger Reservation Centre.

Defence Passenger Reservation Centre - Telephone 0306 7894800

or if on mil phone Brize on 954616050
  14. Travelgall

Travelgall LE Reviewer

Resurecting this from the dead. I assume the usual spots are Cyprus, Deutschland, Gib, Falklands, Assension and Kenya. Rumint is that there are tickets available to Washington DC too? Anybody have a list of what is available?
  15. jim30

jim30 LE

No tickets to washington - that is all commercial air now.