1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

How far do you commute?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by EX_STAB, May 8, 2012.

1. EX_STAB

EX_STAB Clanker

Needs must when the Devil drives but how far do you drive to work on a daily basis in these hard times? I'm thinking as a commute either end of an 8 hour day rather than driving as part of the working day.

Mine is 140 mile round trip and takes 4.5 hours all told.
  2. Stanley1975

Stanley1975 Clanker

I'm lucky as well, it's about 5K each way and only 15 minutes on a pushbike. Anything over 20K and I'd seriously consider moving myself! (if that's a possibility).
  3. I drive about 30miles each way with a 10min walk at arrival. This is my limit, anymore and id end up ramming people off the road who drive like knobs.... you know who you are mr kia.... grrrrrrr
    patch27 likes this.
  4. Drlligaf

Drlligaf Clanker MiA (Donor)

Daily trip of 15kms, that's about 25 minutes in the car or 33 minutes on the bike. It's a strange coincidence but for the last 25 years I have only ever had about 10 miles or 15 kms to work in 4 different places.
  5. archer

archer Clanker Supporter - ADC

80 mile round trip was the longest daily commute I did- as you say "Needs must"
  6. Grey_Mafia65

Grey_Mafia65 Clanker

I'm currently adding on about 45 minutes either end of my working day. Wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the last/first 5 miles taking up half an hour of that time. Not a great wage but about 3k pa better than I'd get locally so if I want to keep up with the rent...

Longest I've ever commuted was 60 mile round trip.
  7. Uzbeck

Uzbeck Clanker

14 miles each way.
    However its through twisty roads through woodland and by the side of the river. This morning there was a deer amongst the bluebells in the beach wood, mist rising off the river which was right in (tidal) so it was lapping against the oaks that over hang it. To be honest I love the commute....its the job that grinds me down ;-)
  8. PnGu

PnGu Swinger

At the moment, 12 minute walk - just a shame the job is crap!

At worst, 70 mile round trip. Seeing the same cars going the same way at the same time just made me suicidal!
  9. Tiger-Monkey2

Tiger-Monkey2 Clanker

About 12 minutes by bicycle is long enough for me. There is a lot to be said for living in a flat country where provision of safe cycling lanes is part of the natural order of things rather than something to be squeezed onto the crowded roads. Funnily enough, if I take the car it is still about 12 minutes.
  10. Boris3098

Boris3098 Clanker

Fifty mile round trip which I leave half an hour earlier than you'd think because of all the inbreds who somehow got licenses and Sunday drivers who've forgotten what day it is.

There is an option to transfer to a 15 minute bike ride away but since that's closer to "Head Office" and I only have 14 months til retirement sod it.

I really have started to appreciate the better priced petrol stations now.
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby Clanker

Walk out the back door, walk to the front of the house and hey presto I'm at work. I have a cruizy number at the moment though, the log book and wages start with the alarm clock and I clock off about an hour after I get home, but like I say it's cruizy and I park the truck out the front (In Kiwiland so that's all good). Worst commute would be working away all week and staying in digs or the mind numbing drive around the south circular in London, dont know how many miles it was but took about an hour and a half to go about 20 or 30K.
    You do what you must, some jobs you dip in, some you dip out.
  12. Steven

Steven Clanker

Round trip of 70 KMs (about 44 miles in real money) most of it on reasonably clear Autobahns (unlimited so I can belt along at 100mph plus if feeling the need) but the final couple of miles in the city are a pain plus of course the added pain of paying for the parking space. Cheap compared to some places but still a waste of money just to leave your car standing there for 9 hours a day.

As for moving to be nearer to work? Not a chance I would much rather suffer the commute than have to live in a city.
  13. jarrod248

jarrod248 Clanker Gallery Guru

I used to have some horrible commutes but my current 1 mile is too tedious these days.
  14. Legs

Legs Clanker Book Reviewer Supporter - GCM
    1. ARRSE Camping and Caravanning Club

When I was based at MoD London it was about 1 1/4 hours walking & Tube.

When I got to my current unit they were based in Bordon, but due to move in 5 months to Tidworth. So I was given an FSA in Tidworth and commuted the 120 mile round trip daily (about 1 1/4 hours each way). Bastards would only give me HDT for 100 miles though!
  15. Flash MacTavish

Flash MacTavish Clanker

About an 80Km roundtrip, luckily four of us carpool it, so that saves on fuel and wear and tear on the car.