1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Guards Division Colour Sergeant rank badges

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Linkin, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Linkin

Linkin Swinger

I have seen this image of a Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant Full Dress rank badge and have a few questions, please.
    (See http://logo.cafepress.com/nocache/2/233372.3759072.jpg.)

1. If you removed the gold and red stripes, would the remaining image be a Warrant Officer Rank Badge? Warrant Officer Class 1? Warrant Officer Class 2?

2. With a Number 1 Dress chevron, would a Colour Sergeant wear a crown over the chevron bars as with Number 2 Dress, or would he wear the flag and sphinx image draped across the chevron bars as with the Full Dress chevron?
    (See http://www.kellybadge.co.uk/images/W1P047.jpg.)

3. With Number 2 Dress when a crown is worn over the chevron bars, is it a metal crown or cloth crown?

Thank you in advance.

Linkin
    Chief Petty Officer
    U. S. Coast Guard (Retired)
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy Clanker Moderator MiA (Donor) Good Egg (charities)

Have a look at this Linkin:
    http://www.irishguards.org.uk/pages/lifeinbatt/rank.html

Gives good pictures of all the Guards rank badges.

One other thing which is peculiar to them. If the WO1 is RSM of a Guards Battalion or is GSM london district or the ASM Sandhurst he wear a large badge of rank on his upper right arm as shown here on the RSM of the Scots Guards:
    http://www.army.mod.uk/img/scotsguards/history/rsm___lion.jpg

If he is a WO1 holding another appointment he wears the more normal WO1 badge on his lower right arm.

All the badges are of cloth.
  3. Linkin

Linkin Swinger

Thank you.

Do you (or another poster) know about Guards Division Number 1 Dress chevrons?

I know what the Sergeant stripes look like for dress blues, but I'm wondering if a Colour Sergeant wears a crown over the stripes, or if they drape the image of the flag and sphinx across the Number 1 Dress chevrons like they do with the Full Dress chevrons.
  4. oldbaldy

On No1 dress the badge of rank used is the same as on Home Service clothing. (That's the red tunic you see them wearing on ceremonial duty).
  5. Linkin

Linkin Swinger

Thank you, again.
  6. Linkin

Linkin Swinger

Please see this image.

It was listed as a Coldstream Guards Colour Sergeant Number 1 Dress Chevron. Since I can't find one anywhere else, I'm wondering if this is accurate. Would the three bar chevron have that image superimposed on it, or has somebody confused it with Full Dress (the red tunic)?

Should this three bar chevron just have a crown above the bars?
  7. GLESGA-NED

GLESGA-NED Clanker

Colour Sgts have a metal crown above cloth chevrons in No2 dress. WOIIs have larger metal crown worn on the lower sleeve
  8. GLESGA-NED

GLESGA-NED Clanker

edited, double tapped!!
  9. oldbaldy

No the quote on the picture is correct. The badges are the same for No1 dress & red tunic.

I've looked but I can't find a picture at the moment.
  10. Linkin

Linkin Swinger

Thank you so much.