Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Getitng into Australia

Following Scousie"G" comments on moving to Australia, I thought I might make some comments on the general migration issue.

Firstly, despite the rumours, migrating to Australia isn't as hard as you might think. If you are determined, you will make it. It might involve some effort and cost, but you stand a very good chance of making it.

There is a pretty constant list of skills under the skilled migration categories. If you can prove you have those skills you will get on the list of candidates.

1. SOL:
The first important list is the SOL - Skilled Occupation List. This list lets you work ANYWHERE in Australia.
http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

This includes the obvious like "Obstetrician and Gynaecologist". But it also includes less obvious trades like "Drainer", "Glazier", "Wall and Floor Tiler" and "Fibrous Plasterer ". With the lack of apprenticeships these days, you only have to convince a Trades Assessor that you know what you are doing and have been doing it for a while to get in.

Now its not for me to suggest any fraudulent skulduggery here - even though its being done on a massive scale from the Indian Subcontinent. But if you had a mate who you helped out with a bit of plastering or glazing at weekends, and he wrote a nice letter that implied that you had been a full time highly experienced workman for 3 years........

2. CSOL
The Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List covers occupations that are state sponsored - you can only work in the state that sponsors you. (NOTE - this isn't enforced and many people just move to Sydney after they arrive)
http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

This list is MUCH more comprehensive and full of weird and wacky occupations. Everything from Welfare Centre Manager to "Picture Framer". Seriously, picture framer is on the list. how hard can it be to do that?

Others include "Make Up Artist", "Ambulance Officer", "Driving Instructor", "Real Estate Representative" Even "Defence Force Member – Other Ranks".

3. POINTS:
Neither the SOL or the CSOL get you automatic entry - they get you onto the list, and get you points. Other points come from age, education, and amazingly, speaking English.

You have to get 60 points to get in. that's the target.

The points for your work experience in the SOL/CSOL trades are:

At least three but less than five years (of past 10 years). = 5 points.
At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years). = 10 points.
At least eight and up to 10 years (of past 10 years). = 15 points.

• 25-32 = 30 points,
  • 33-39 = 25 points,
  • 40-44 = 15 points.
Education:
Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or other Doctorate of a recognised standard. = 20 points.
At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard. = 15 points.
Diploma or trade qualification or other qualification completed in Australia, or qualification or award of recognised standard = 10 points.

Language:
  • Superior English - person has a score of 8 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 20 points.
  • Proficient English - person has a score of 7 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 10 points.
  • Competent English - person has a score of 6 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 0 points.
PARTNER: You can get 5 more points if your partner meets the age or language requirements.

So, you worked as a glazer for 3 years. (5 points) You are 30 years old (30 points) you speak perfect English (20 points) And your wife is 30 with good English (5 points) = Welcome to Australia.

Re Education, as I mentioned before, Australia is pretty keen on Recognition of Prior Learning and Recognition of Prior Experience. I knew an English guy who couldn't reach the points (because of his age) without getting education points. He was a finance consultant and had a financial planners certificate and 10 years experience. I put him in touch with a very friendly RPE consultant. Three weeks later he was awarded an Australian Government recognised Diploma in Management. (10 points). He now lives in Canberra.

It CAN be done, and if you are prepared to adopt the Indian process of stretching things and using every loophole, its pretty easy.

Finally, if you are desperate for the military career: The Australian army recruits up to 55. you don't have to be a citizen but you MUST have permanent residency. (Your migration visa using the above points gives you this PR). Even when your visa conditions restrict you to certain states, Federal Law overrules State law and the Defence Force wins. So you could arrive as a skilled Plasterer, apply for the ADF and they will take you irrespective of what your visa says.

Hope this helps some people.

Re the above mentioned Diploma, I ma happy to point anyone in the direction of the friendly RPL/PRE consultant. (I don't want to mention him online)

I would guess that a decent spell in the British Forces, especially with some courses and some rank up, would get you that Diploma in Management without any problems.

Re ADF age limits on joining:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recru...olddoyouhavetobetojoinuporwhatisthemaximumage
The age limits for entry varies from 17 - 55 years. Specific age requirements are available on each job information page. As evidence of proof of age, all persons wishing to join the ADF must present an original or certified copy of their full birth certificate to their recruiting officer.

And the ADF get YOU (NOT your spouse) Citizenship within 3 months.

And the ADF get YOU (NOT your spouse) Citizenship within 3 months.
Worth noting that includes the Reserve. Ordinarily, it takes four years from arrival to being eligible for citizenship; the ADF can do it in, as you say, three months. It is selective though.

Early citizenship was a key motivator in my joining the Reserve, because it opened a whole load of consultancy opportunities that require security vetting for which citizenship is a pre-requisite.

My advice on getting in: push the limits and pick the easy/clever routes.

A PhD takes you around 5 years to complete, on top of an honours degree. All that effort gets you just 10 points more than a Diploma issued via RPL for doing a few Army promotions courses.

Education is just not with the effort. If you have to do it to get the points, go for easy simple qualifications, even if you have to study (I did a part time one year distance Advanced Diploma with Oxford University. Dead easy, and an instant 10 points).

Applying between the age of 25-32 gets you half the points you need for zero effort. Far better to apply during that age band that study or try to build up work experience.

A bit of practice with IELTS will get you 20 points – got to be the easiest third of the points required.

Ten years in your trade will only get you 15 points, whereas just three years (even 3 questionable years) will get you on the list and 5 points.

To put all this into perspective Australia is being swamped by Indian and Pakistani migrants who are using fake ages to get maximum points, fake education, and fake work histories. Nothing you do to get in would be worse than that.

I'm too old to consider this but I think that's excellent advice and information for those looking to go. That programme Wanted Down Under makes me cringe at times. Do people think that moving to Australia will automatically give them a wonderful better standard of living? A hell of a lot forget........that you still have to work. Now why can't the UK introduce something along these lines?

2. CSOL
The Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List covers occupations that are state sponsored - you can only work in the state that sponsors you. (NOTE - this isn't enforced and many people just move to Sydney after they arrive)

Others include "Make Up Artist", "Ambulance Officer", "Driving Instructor", "Real Estate Representative" Even "Defence Force Member – Other Ranks".

re the parts underlined - If you can only work in the one state, what if the ADF posts you elsewhere?

I have to admit I have been looking at emigrating at some point - not sure about down under though, due to the amount of wildlife that will try to kill you :)

Very interesting bumhole!

Can you apply from the comfort of your home, and if you get it, then start thinking about moving? Once you've got it, when does it expire if you don't move?

Aren't they quiet tough on character stuff, criminal record etc?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

re the parts underlined - If you can only work in the one state, what if the ADF posts you elsewhere?

I have to admit I have been looking at emigrating at some point - not sure about down under though, due to the amount of wildlife that will try to kill you :)
If the ADF accept you, you they will put you through citizenship and you can live anywhere. Generally, they post you to your location of choice for the first three years.

You soon learn to live with having deadly spiders in the garden..........

Can you apply from the comfort of your home, and if you get it, then start thinking about moving? Once you've got it, when does it expire if you don't move?
Yes. if you apply outside of Australia, you have to be outside of the country when your visa is granted. If you apply inside Oz, the opposite. The process is easy to follow on the DIAC website; just do what they require when they require it.

On the criminal record issue, yes, they are very strict. My advice would be to check carefully the exclusions before applying and don't bother if you don't meet them. My visa application was around $3000; not wroth starting if you don't meet an absolute requirement.

Once you have a Federal job (eg ADF) all bets are off. the ADF can post you anywhere. Federal always overrules State.

The wildlife isn't so bad. You soon become aware of it, and adjust. I cant remember any time in the bush when I was worried - snakes, scorpions, spiders and crocks included. There is usually an old sweat country boy who has seen it all before in the Platoon. Finding red bellied black snakes in your doss bag isn't a big deal down here. A lot of guys get snake attacks and don't even realise it - you just feel a tug on your trousers and think you snagged on something. Crocks - the No2 scout carries live rounds.

The ADF is a bit like the British army in the 50s and 60s - you still get posted to tropical cantonments, or to desert bases, or to freezing cold winter Tasmania.

We still keep a jungle warfare school at Canungra (DONT go there -its hell on earth) and we keep a standing defence company at Butterworth on Malaysia (Rifle Company Butterworth) and that does its own jungle warfare courses (DONT do that either). There are standby air bases much like you would find in the British built in the Middle East - the so called Bare Bases of Sherger, curtin and Learmonth.

It all feels like 1965 in the British army - far away postings that are still under sovereign rule. A bit of fun in the sun.

Another easy way to emigrate to the land down under is a proven track record in a trade that is scarce in the whole of Australia, age is no problem , I emigrated in 96 aged 53 , 85% disabled but still able to teach and train apprentices, immigration fees including all medicals and xrays 550pounds, received citizenship 1998, so no need to stretch the truth, 3 in 10 UK immigrants to aus, return to uk mostly family related problems,moving from downtown Bristol to beyond the black stump is not everyones ideal life

We still keep a jungle warfare school at Canungra (DONT go there -its hell on earth)
Since incorporated into whatever the Land Command Battle School at Tully is called these days, as I understand it.
Although I found Tully instructive, it should probably be avoided. Canungra, on the other hand, is a wonderful place - its where I do my reserve time.

Following Scousie"G" comments on moving to Australia, I thought I might make some comments on the general migration issue.

Firstly, despite the rumours, migrating to Australia isn't as hard as you might think. If you are determined, you will make it. It might involve some effort and cost, but you stand a very good chance of making it.

There is a pretty constant list of skills under the skilled migration categories. If you can prove you have those skills you will get on the list of candidates.

1. SOL:
The first important list is the SOL - Skilled Occupation List. This list lets you work ANYWHERE in Australia.
http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/sol.aspx

This includes the obvious like "Obstetrician and Gynaecologist". But it also includes less obvious trades like "Drainer", "Glazier", "Wall and Floor Tiler" and "Fibrous Plasterer ". With the lack of apprenticeships these days, you only have to convince a Trades Assessor that you know what you are doing and have been doing it for a while to get in.

Now its not for me to suggest any fraudulent skulduggery here - even though its being done on a massive scale from the Indian Subcontinent. But if you had a mate who you helped out with a bit of plastering or glazing at weekends, and he wrote a nice letter that implied that you had been a full time highly experienced workman for 3 years........

2. CSOL

This list is MUCH more comprehensive and full of weird and wacky occupations. Everything from Welfare Centre Manager to "Picture Framer". Seriously, picture framer is on the list. how hard can it be to do that?

3. POINTS:
Neither the SOL or the CSOL get you automatic entry - they get you onto the list, and get you points. Other points come from age, education, and amazingly, speaking English.

You have to get 60 points to get in. that's the target.

The points for your work experience in the SOL/CSOL trades are:

At least three but less than five years (of past 10 years). = 5 points.
At least five but less than eight years (of past 10 years). = 10 points.
At least eight and up to 10 years (of past 10 years). = 15 points.

• 25-32 = 30 points,
  • 33-39 = 25 points,
  • 40-44 = 15 points.
Education:
Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or other Doctorate of a recognised standard. = 20 points.
At least a Bachelor degree, including a Bachelor degree with Honours or Masters, from an Australian educational institution or other degree of a recognised standard. = 15 points.
Diploma or trade qualification or other qualification completed in Australia, or qualification or award of recognised standard = 10 points.

Language:
  • Superior English - person has a score of 8 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 20 points.
  • Proficient English - person has a score of 7 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 10 points.
  • Competent English - person has a score of 6 or more in the English Language Testing System (IELTS) in each of the four test components. = 0 points.
PARTNER: You can get 5 more points if your partner meets the age or language requirements.

So, you worked as a glazer for 3 years. (5 points) You are 30 years old (30 points) you speak perfect English (20 points) And your wife is 30 with good English (5 points) = Welcome to Australia.

Re Education, as I mentioned before, Australia is pretty keen on Recognition of Prior Learning and Recognition of Prior Experience. I knew an English guy who couldn't reach the points (because of his age) without getting education points. He was a finance consultant and had a financial planners certificate and 10 years experience. I put him in touch with a very friendly RPE consultant. Three weeks later he was awarded an Australian Government recognised Diploma in Management. (10 points). He now lives in Canberra.

It CAN be done, and if you are prepared to adopt the Indian process of stretching things and using every loophole, its pretty easy.

Finally, if you are desperate for the military career: The Australian army recruits up to 55. you don't have to be a citizen but you MUST have permanent residency. (Your migration visa using the above points gives you this PR). Even when your visa conditions restrict you to certain states, Federal Law overrules State law and the Defence Force wins. So you could arrive as a skilled Plasterer, apply for the ADF and they will take you irrespective of what your visa says.

Hope this helps some people.

Keith, take this how you will but I can't help but notice that your post contains details& information "encouraging" folk to play fast & loose with the Australian migration laws. And elsewhere you have posted details that lead directly to webpages giving your name, your wife's name, the district you live in and some of your employment history.

I hope your advice is better than your persec.

Very interesting bumhole!

Aren't they quiet tough on character stuff, criminal record etc?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not detracting from the good advice given earlier, I should point out that we Kiwis think that a criminal record is almost a prerequisite for Aussie citizenship.

I'd also point out that we don't have nasty poisonous creepy crawlies in lovely green NZ.