1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

GDR political prisoners allegedly used to build IKEA furniture

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BugzDaMick, May 1, 2012.

1. BugzDaMick

BugzDaMick Crow

There are claims that political prisoners in the GDR were used to make IKEA furniture. See the story here:
    IKEA 'used East German political prisoners arrested by Stasi to make its furniture in the 1970's and 80's' | Mail Online
    While there's no doubt that political prisoners were treated roughly and it didn't take much to become one in the GDR, there are a few things about the story that don't really chime. First off, the Stasi is the most thoroughly examined secret service in the known world. All of the files (minus most of the foreign espionage ones) have been available for almost a quarter of a century, yet not one of those alleged political prisoners has ever spoken out about it, or claimed that they were subjected to any type of forced labour.

The second point is that the “claim" is being made by Hubertus Knabe. More about him here: Hubertus Knabe

Knabe is the curator of the former Stasi nick Berlin-Hohenschönhausen. He’s an odious little gobshite at the best of times and discovered at an early stage that he could make shedloads of dosh if he kept plugging the official Boxheed gobment line about the GDR being an illegal state (Unrechtsstaat). One of the first things he did at the former Stasi nick was to lay a short stretch of railway track and place a cattle-truck on it to conjure up associations with Auschwitz and the Holocaust, in spite of the fact that Hohenschönhausen was never at any time in its history connected to any railway network and prisoners were transferred there by vans. He’s also a West German who never lived in the GDR, although his folks did a moonlight flit from the GDR early on. That, more than anything else, makes me think it’s just another one of his “dramatic revelations” to get his moniker in the rags again. Just like he “dramatically revealed” the presence of torture chambers in the nick (which he’d had “reconstructed”, so he said), even though there was no record of them ever being there and even former inmates said it was all bollocks and they never existed while they were there.

MsG
  2. Biscuits_AB

Biscuits_AB

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz Clanker Book Reviewer

Thank you for sharing.

And taking up valuable bandwidth.
  4. BugzDaMick

BugzDaMick Crow

You're welcome. :winkrazz:
    Oh, sorry. I didn't realise you were paying for it. [Reaches into sky] What's the damage, guv?

MsG
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup Clanker Book Reviewer

Rotten bastards that's inhuman
    Have you ever tried to put anything from IKEA together?
    Onetap and cantbearsed2 like this.
  6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad Clanker Reviewer

Spooky, the first IKEA sh*d I ever saw in my life was in West Berlin in 1983.

This story may have legs, if only I could work out how to attach them to the rest of the piece.

Does he say what went into the meat-balls?
    djbt_uk and Mattb like this.
  7. Effendi

Effendi Clanker

It may have been more interesting than stamping out number plates for the state or stitching mail bags for the Queen.
  8. cloudbuster

cloudbuster Clanker

Let me see if I've got this right; you're complaining about this bloke getting free publicity from an article that might be full of unsubstantiated bollocks, by perpetuating the free publicity with another article that might be full of unsubstantiated bollocks.

You're Max Clifford's sock-puppet, aren't you?
  9. Draft Dodger

Draft Dodger Clanker

was it MFI that did this as well? when i was growing up we used to have some chests of drawers that had GDR stamped on the backs of the drawers so were probably made by these poor bastards. they were suprisingly well made and one or two might still survive in the garage, they must've been feeding them too much.
  10. sunnoficarus

sunnoficarus Clanker

http://www.reoiv.com/images/random/give-a-****.php.gif

Well, I tried, but my Give-a-Fuckometer is still reading less than zero.
    Nugger likes this.
  11. BugzDaMick

BugzDaMick Crow

That's exactly the point! Nobody gives a ****! Not even the folks who allegedly had to knock the stuff together are complaining and clamouring for compensation. It's just another try-on by the Boxheed gobment to further discredit the GDR. They even compensated the genuine fuckin' criminals who were let out on amnesty after reunification. I mean those who were doing porridge for rape, robbery, murder, etc. You couldn't make it up.

MsG
  12. Nugger

Nugger Clanker

No wonder the furniture s so shit then.
  13. Nugger

Nugger Clanker

Funny that you mention that. We had an 80s MFI kitchen delivered and were amazed that every cupboard came with its own free Human Fitter, we were amazed even then that a GDR German could nt even screw 4 pieces of chipboard together without his Gruppenführer.
  14. sunnoficarus

sunnoficarus Clanker

how can you further discredit the country that gave us the Trabant? Shit car built in a shit 'country', and neither are missed.
  15. cloudbuster

cloudbuster Clanker

It does seem rather an odd assertion.