1. Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Gamecock barracks...

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 29, 2002.

1. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

Now those of you stationed there will no, the place used to be a RNAS (HMS Gamecock)

I was having a chat with a mate this morning, who belives that the Navy actually scrapped and buried aircraft on the site. What I'm trying to find out is, how true are the rumours?

Looked at the overhead on multimap, and came up with this intriguing feature

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.c...idth=500&height=310&gride=440366&gridn=288869

So what is that square patch of discoloured grass?

Any help appreciated

PtP
  2. Mountain_Git

Mountain_Git Clanker

Are ye talkin aboot the green bit at the bottom of the pic, cause that's a fitba field.....or it wiz when ah wiz there.

Or the sandy coloured bit below the left hand hangar? That's where ah used tae dae aww ma press ups.

If there's any sinister burial pits, they'll be up at the fence next tae the motorway....just ootside the pic. (bottom of pic)
  3. b1llst3r

b1llst3r Swinger

you could always buy a metal detector.Dont think youll find a lot though.You may find however that the areas of different grass are the foundations of Bramcote village/manor that the navy flattened to build the place.
  4. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

ahhhhh which ties in with one of the pits being excavated back in the 60's , and a load of Spit, Corsair and Avenger bits being hauled out......

Thanks Bill

Mountain, missed your post, but will look at that area now

Ta muchly

PtP
  5. Mountain_Git

Mountain_Git Clanker

Whit aboot Bramcote Mains? I think that was MOD property tae, wi' a big fence roond it. If ah remember rightly it's oan the other side of the motorway.

Mind you....it's been a few years since ah flew mah Tiger Moth oot ay there!

:D
  6. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

Mountain,

Quick question, do you have a map reference for Bramcote Mains? Please refer to first post for multimap area reference.

Regards

PtP
  7. Mountain_Git

Mountain_Git Clanker

8. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

Mountain, you are a Star........  ;D

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.c...idth=500&height=310&gride=440366&gridn=288869

Thanks for taking the time to do that, some bloody interesting features right there. Makes me wonder though, is this the site of the 60's /80's dig, part of Bramcote manor, or an undiscovered area.

Oh well, only way to tell is to walk up and down it , till I get ping-ping-ping. Now, will the boss let me?

Outstanding bit of help mate, ta muchly...

PTP
  9. Mountain_Git

Mountain_Git Clanker

10. big-timer

big-timer Clanker

I don't wanna p*** on your bonfire PtP and you may be on to something, but I heard a very similar story about the RAF at Azimghur Bks (21 sigs).  Supposed to be buried aircraft there as well.  I think it's a bit of an apocryphal story, sorry mate.
  11. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

Dev believe me, you haven't. I checked with some mates, and they have photo evidence of stuff coming out of a hole at Bramcote in the Sixties. Someone else went along with TA diggers in the 80's and got some more small bits out, but I think there was more than one pit...

Azimghur Bks is Colerne I think, and there are a shedload of stories about that location. if anyone knows anything concrete, i'd love to hear it, same with Hullavington....

Thanks for that Dev... ;D

PtP
  12. big-timer

big-timer Clanker

yep, Azimghur is Colerne. I checked out the stories there when I was a baby troopie.  All came to nothing. If you are on to a winner at Bramcote then 'have it!' I hope it all works out.  Let me know what you find...
  13. PartTimePongo

PartTimePongo Clanker

Any time you want to come along Dev, just say so. Still looking, and still looking for stories of what may, or may not be under the turf at various locations.

Was at Gutersloh (first time) as a spacey in 1981. The Fire dump still had a couple of FW190 tail units on it! If only I knew then what I know now :'( Friend I go gliding with, used to be an RAF armourer, says he saw Mossie fuselages on a dump at a Turkish base in the 70's. He also reports Venom fuselages in Saudi, so does a relative who used train RSAF bods out there.

But anything else anyone knows about....
  14. Mountain_Git

Mountain_Git Clanker

Git up tae the Cairngorms........we're trippin' ower aircraft wrecks up here.

There's a tail-fin aff a yellow Sea King or Wessex oan Lochnagar that cud fit in ma Bergan if that's legal ;)
  15. error_unknown

error_unknown

having kicked many a football on that piece of grass i can say that the only reason for its colour is that it is the only piece of grass in the fields that actually gets mowed.