Fucked lawn advice please

Discussion in 'DIY' started by supermatelot, Mar 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lawn was overun with dandelions. I went nuclear with killer and it has resulted in dead spots. The lawn is very wet with poor drainage and has several types of grasses going on. What would be the best way to start making it presentable? Can i just chuck seed over it abd let nature take its course?
    Cheers. ImageUploadedByARRSE1331065201.287144.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

2. Provost

Provost LE

Move away from Chernobyl.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The_Snail

The_Snail On ROPs

groundforce.jpg

cable.jpg

For a small fee, Groundfarce can come around. I'm well good at gardening.

4. azimghur1990

azimghur1990 Old-Salt

5. Stanley1975

Stanley1975 LE

Tarmac should do the trick.

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

seriously , dig it over and start again with either turf or seed . its the right time of year to give it a go . Dig some rough sand in as well to assist drainage. by the time
    you fart about with the patches it would be quicker and better to dig it all up .
    t

• Like Like x 2
  7. HHH

HHH LE

If you've fucked your lawn, it's Sods Law that the lawn is going to germinate and you'll be the proud Father of a new born turf !

8. guzzijon

guzzijon LE

Draw the curtains.

9. If you've used too much weed killer nothing will grow for years except dandelions. Try seeding it and wait.

10. leveller

leveller LE

That's the poofs method, give it a good mow, them chuck this on a few days later. Use the whole container on what you show in the pic.
    Water it, a lot if it isn't raining, though your lawn may well resemble a napalm attack, like mine did.

This kills weeds, and shit types of grass (apparently), you will be left with the good stuff.

spreader.jpg

11. No don't use more weed killer.

12. leveller

leveller LE

What good grass you have grows like **** with this stuff, one spring summer with this, sorted.

13. He says he's used loads of weedkiller using more will just mean it takes longer for grass to re-grow or he'll have to dig it all up.

14. Ratty22

Ratty22 Old-Salt

Green Thumb. Every time.
    And no, I'm not on commission. Spend a bit more to get it right first time.
    Just google them.

15. Cheers for the tips. How much could I expect to fork out for a professional gardener to sort it? My portfolio of gardening equipment extends to a trowel. Would it be in the hundreds? I figure it would be easier to get someone who knows what they are doing and has the right kit to sort it, rather than me forking out and causing more havoc with shedborne implements.