French to commemorate national humiliation

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Jan 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

2. bokkatankie

bokkatankie LE

You should try a visit to the Waterloo Museum, you would be hard pressed to know the British were there at all.
  3. chocolate_frog

chocolate_frog

As above, you're looking at this from a British prospective... the French have a TOTALLY different outlook on Napolean and his various exploits.

Most of the population love France... sick fcuks.
  4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

I thought the Belgian who said that most of the visitors were French so they gave them what they wanted, took their money and sent them home happy captured it quite well. I just don't see that as possible on a large scale like this. Presumably this venture will require foreign tourists to support it and there will be much sniggering thereby. It might also not be the best time to remind the world of French behaviour in Portugal and Spain.
  5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

There must be something n the French psyche that makes them want to be dominated. Democracy has never really had a strong hold on them and the extremes of politics seem to hold fascination for them. I can see Le Parc Napoleon being very popular and successful as the French hoards flock to bask in their brief moment of glory without reflecting on the twin ironies of his replacing a hated monarchy with an imperial crown and that he lost.
  6. sunami

sunami LE

They should celebrate Agincourt as well. :)
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Of course they should. They won that war, after all.
  8. Bouillabaisse

They didn't win. We just stopped caring.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Sixty

Bitterness is no excuse for an inaccurate response.

You see, that's the hypocrisy you lot continually display. The French shouldn't celebrate Jena, Austerlitz, Marengo and so on because ultimately, they lost the war.

The English, on the other hand, should celebrate Agincourt, Crecy etc despite the fact they ultimately lost the war.

Bonkers.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bouillabaisse

I think my tongue was firmly in my cheek on that one. But..

Marengo et al were fought by Napoleon, who ultimately lost. Agincourt and Crecy were fought by people who didn't lose the war - they handed it over to other people who lost it. So we can celebrate Henry V as a winner whilst acknowledging that his successors weren't quite so heroic.

And I also acknowledge that Agincourt was less of a win than a very lucky escape, but a win's a win.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. sunami

sunami LE

moderators.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Oyibo

Oyibo LE

How does one get a MOD an O2 Thief tag? Because, by Christ, you deserve one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sixty

I'll likely not sleep tonight since I care so very, very much about your opinion of me but do please enlighten me regarding anything inaccurate in my post.

I'll be on tenterhooks all day otherwise.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. samain11

samain11 LE

Is this why they have become so close to Deutchsland?....... skinny little ****** tired of always being clouted starts being the bullyboy's bitch.
  15. FORMER_FYRDMAN

If you bother to read a history book, you will discover that we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to take responsibility for the French and that we came to a similar conclusion about the Americans three hundred years or so later (which is why we used Germans to fight and gave the Yanks our best commander - even then, they still struggled). Sadly we weren't so far-sighted with the Scots and it's only now that we're getting round to addressing that problem. This is all demonstrable historical fact and I may establish a theme park to celebrate it.
    • Like Like x 2