Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Free Sailing to Portugal

Ahoy there,

Im taking a 31ft yacht from Jersey to Spain and Portugal in about two weeks, probably leaving on the 10/11/12th of June. She is in very good condition, recently Surveyed and newly Insured and can sleep up to 6 people, although 4 would be a very comfortable maximum. Safety equipment, including Lifejackets, Primary and Handheld GPS, EPIRB and Liferaft are all aboard.

A Dayskipper/ICC is preferable, as is the ability to stand a night watch whilst crossing Biscay.. I'll pay for all the food onboard and travel back from Portugal to your nearest UK airport.

If there is anyone who would like to do the trip, which is St. Helier, via Gosport (for Tax and Customs reasons) and then onto Dartmouth, La Coruna or Camarinas, Porto, Lisbon, Albufeira or Villamoura and possibly on to Gibraltar, please either PM or reply here. I expect it to last anything up to a fortnight.

Last edited:
Ahoy there,

Im taking a 31ft yacht from Jersey to Spain and Portugal in about two weeks, probably leaving on the 10/11/12th of June. She is in very good condition, recently Surveyed and newly Insured and can sleep up to 6 people, although 4 would be a very comfortable maximum. Safety equipment, including Lifejackets, Primary and Handheld GPS, EPIRB and Liferaft are all aboard.

A Dayskipper/ICC is preferable, as is the ability to stand a night watch whilst crossing Biscay.. I'll pay for all the food onboard and travel back from Portugal to your nearest UK airport.

If there is anyone who would like to do the trip, which is St. Helier, via Gosport (for Tax and Customs reasons) and then onto Dartmouth, La Coruna or Camarinas, Porto, Lisbon, Albufeira or Villamoura and possibly on to Gibraltar, please either PM or reply here. I expect it to last anything up to a fortnight.

What about beer? Free beer?

Well if he is, I'll come. I don't know anything about boats but I like the sound of free beer for a fortnight.

I've seen Hoverpot drink. I'm not sure that the boat can hold enough beer for a fortnight.

Count me out. I'd get sea sick on the ferry from Poole to St. Helier. Me throwing up for two weeks would be a waste of someone else's good beer.

Bay of Biscay yeah enjoy.

Decades ago, in Winter admittedly, I went from Plymouth to Bilbao by car-ferry. It was a 26 hour crossing and I was seasick for about 23 of them. I had to camp one night near the port as I couldn't face going up into the Picos d'Europa after getting on firm ground again.

Decades ago, in Winter admittedly, I went from Plymouth to Bilbao by car-ferry. It was a 26 hour crossing and I was seasick for about 23 of them. I had to camp one night near the port as I couldn't face going up into the Picos d'Europa after getting on firm ground again.
I was on the same crossing, didn't spill my G&T.

What HP fails to mention is looking after the 200 immigrants* that will be picked up off Jersey then landed at Hayling Island before checking in to Gosport: got to pay for the trip somehow! :p

* This may not be true :cool: :viking: