Fate of the Union Flag after Scottish Independence

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Nov 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?

the Union Flag after scots Independence

1. Use the St Georges flag only.

17.0%
  2. Drop the St Andrew Saltaire.

34.1%
  3. Keep it as it is.

48.9%
  1. semper

semper LE

I know the Scottish Indepndence debate has been done to death on this forum, also considering the groundswell of opinions on both sides of the border, it may or may not happen eventuallly, next year after the Scottish election or never.

In such an eventuality, what would the fate of the Union Flag be ?

personally I would prefer to retain it so to represent history and the diversity of the population and "Britishness" the definition of which will remain the same after the Scots go their own way.
    English and British has been interchangable when describing English people.

Should we keep it as it is or drop the cross of St Andrew saltaire from it, would make a funny looking flag, St Georges and St Patrick cross on white.

I would have doubts about using the St Georges cross in overseas operations as it looks too much like a Red Cross flag, instead use it for domestic purposes

not sure how it long it will be for the Welsh and the Northern Irish to follow suit, They will be following the Scottish Independence closely and how they cope afterward with interest.
  2. the_guru

the_guru LE

Can't burn it. I heard it is going to be a criminal offence.
  3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Perhaps it could be retained as the upper and inner quadrant (don't knowe the correct terminology) just so the Engerlish remember that they have been ruled by Scots for years.

Even the England cricket team (sorry MCC as it was then :cry: ) has been captained by several non-Englerlish, including several from north of the Border. Now they have decided not to have Scots in their team - look how well they are doing. 8)
  4. the_guru

the_guru LE

Posting after 2100 should be banned for sweaties. They are all obviously in the pocket on jellies and Tennants by then. This mad rant proves it..
    RoyalGreenJacket likes this.
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I thank you :bow:
  6. Kindof like this one?

(Hawaii)

[​IMG]

NTM
  7. Biscuits_AB

Biscuits_AB

That looks like a beach towel.
  8. Biscuits_AB

Biscuits_AB

Don't confuse this tired old fella with people who can afford jellies and Tennants. Those that can are all firmly ensconsed in front of their stolen TVs. AY, is out there in the cold huddled up in the doorway of PC World, with his bottle of meths, shouting at passing busses. It's a shame.
  9. press_it

press_it War Hero

Nooooooooooooo!
    Keep the Union Jack the same & don't change it!

Number 1. Anyone see a slight similarity with the US Flag? Wait till old Georgey boy see's this, he'll make some surggestions to Tony, like putting several stars in the top left corner for a start ............

Number 2. If the good old Union Flag was changed, I'd have to take all my '95 kit into the tailoresses to get all the b###dy badges changed. do you know how hard it is to get her to put them on in the right place? it usualy takes 2 or 3 visits till she gets it right . :)
    Memor3x likes this.
  10. exile1

exile1 LE

George will have seen it..........as has been said, it's the Hawaaian state flag [part of the Brit Empire I believe before we decided the islands were of no use :? ]
  11. taffridge

taffridge LE

I dont give a toss, not represented on the Union Joke anyway
  12. BigRed

BigRed War Hero

Running round the Middle East with the St George Cross flying now there's a way to capture the hearts and minds of the locals...................

May prove to be of advantage if all our veh have them on the side though, even though I'm sure its against the Geneva Convention to pretend your an ambulance.

Either way not too worried as will be other side of the Border (I'm an undercover Jock) or getting paid a mercenaries wage in the English Foriegn Legion des etranges or similar............................. :p :p :roll:
  13. semper

semper LE

one other thought had occured to me, if we do change our flags, will the former colonies change the Union Flags in the upper quadrant if it is dropped ? like Australia and New Zealand etc

possibly one case for retaining it is our links with the other colonies.
  14. Conrad_Cock

Conrad_Cock LE

We could always go back to the original English flag of a white dragon on a black backround :idea:
  15. chuck120

chuck120 Old-Salt

leave the flag as it is and change the government from muppets to real people, many brave men have fallen under these colours with no one asking if they were english,scottish welsh or irish.
    Changing things for the sake of it on a politicians whim can only lead to tears, if you dont believe me just look at the supreme leaders new NHS, police, jails ect